Author Topic: Bosporus bridge token  (Read 2974 times)

Offline Rangnath

• Honorary Member
Bosporus bridge token
« on: April 16, 2009, 06:15:04 AM »
Is this a coin?
The color on the posted image is a little off.  But it is brass, I believe.
It weighs 1.6 grams and is 9 mm across.
Any ideas?
The Ottoman had a similar coin in 1900, at least in the reverse: see km 744. 
richie
« Last Edit: December 22, 2011, 09:36:12 PM by Figleaf »

translateltd

Re: Ottoman? North AFrican?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2009, 06:45:25 AM »
Turkish - this is now about the third or fourth of these that I've seen posted on different groups in the past couple of years (see the problems of list fragmentation!!)

From the Coinquestion group:

No. 1 would appear to be a Turkish 20 para token used for crossing the
Bosporus during the 1910-27 period - these have been discussed on the
"Coinsclub" and "Islamic Coins" groups and should show up with a
search of the respective archives.

Link to CoinQ thread:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Coinquestion/message/2146

Offline Rangnath

• Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2009, 04:52:41 PM »
A Token?  I hadn't considered that. Thanks very much Martin.
richie

Offline artbodrum

• Reader
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2011, 08:51:29 PM »
Divided into two by the Golden Horn and Galata side of Istanbul after the conquest of Istanbul, the city's growing population is not sufficient pereme boats and boats with access to the norm due to be built in different ways, safely made the journey from the Golden Horn, the two side of Beyazit II, the transfer of a bridge has led to various attempts to combine with. In 1845 the first bridge on the Golden Horn Sultan Bezmiâlem was built by the shipyard-i Amire. The first three days, the bridge passes the public free of charge, to cover the costs of maintenance from the date of 25 November 1845 on behalf of the Ministry of the Navy müruriye picture (geçitlik benefit) and the transition was needed. Both sides of the bridge at the beginning of the transition cost of standing in front of cottages were being charged by collectors. Unkapanı'na old bridge was placed in 1863 by a new bridge. A new bridge was built in England in 1875 and served until 1912, this time the location of the steel mills in Germany, a MAN who can not respond to the needs of the day left the bridge the last bridge on 16.5.1992, in addition to a new bridge, shortly before the end of has become unavailable as a result of a fire.
No money is set to 5 in 1845 in time for pedestrians by increasing the money has risen to 20 in 1918. With a variety of pedestrian or vehicles across the bridge recently, this tax was being charged with the printed tickets. Balat, starting on May 31, 1334 Rumi and Aksaray Aksaray, causing the fire to burn the house of thousands of so-called after the great fire, I. World War II because of the treasure is in trouble borrowing to be helping those who have caused damage to the fire and hear the-u switch to bridge the General Administration for the debt guarantee fees will be shown to raise a fold. Debt would be liquidated to the beginning of June the year 1337. Ending the war and the financial problems created by the demilitarization of the Ottoman Empire on the one-fold hike from the date of July 1, 1335 Sehremaneti (Istanbul Municipality) account Şehremanetine be charged and collected as a result of the cost of kararlaştırılmıştır.Geçiş Karakoy (Galata) and the Ministry of the Navy before Unkapanı bridges replaced by collectors Sehremaneti 'collectors of the transition by taking pictures of huts köprübaşlarındaki başladılar.Bu application May 31, 1930 to pay all collection and continued after that date until the date of the last is taking a toll bridge.
Şehremaneti imposed as a result of a change before tickets were charged with pedestrian rüsumu yellow brass, this time with printed alınmağa başlandı.Bu coins coins were used only for pedestrians. Of those fees by means of the bridge was carried out with the tickets as usual. The coins are printed in Zeytinburnu Military Factories.
a. Print tokens customs 10,000,000 blocks.
b. 20 worth of money on a lot of these chips should be "pressing and with the market because it is a shortage of coins in circulation as money in the market has. In this regard, some of the articles examined the coins, such as coins and coin collections in the ticket is the emergence of the need to take place.

Online Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2011, 10:59:27 PM »
Thanks, Artbodrum. We have some more Turkish tokens on the site. I find them very interesting and I am hoping for more information and research. They turn up regularly and people are interested in what they are and how they were used.

Also, welcome to WoC. We are a non-commercial group devoted to research, education, honest discussion and fun. Please participate.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Coinsforever

• Honorary Member
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2011, 11:28:18 PM »
Excellent Illustrations.

If I'm not wrong  these are tokens which were mainly used  similar to modern  toll brigdes .

Welcome Artbodrum .

Cheers ;D
Every experience, good or bad, is a priceless collector's item.

http://knowledge-numismatics.blogspot.in/