News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

2 unidentified old European coins

Started by Barent, April 14, 2009, 12:19:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barent

Any comments welcome on the country of origin and approximate date

Figleaf

The lower coin is a 2 maravedis 1720 Burgos for Philip V.

obv: crowned arms, upper left castle (Castilia), upper right climbing lion (Léon), below thre heraldic lillies (Bourbon) between +B+ (mintmark) and +II+ (denomination). Around: PHILIP+V+D+G+HISPAN+REX (Felipe V by te grace of god king of Spain.
rev: crowned, lying lion with sceptre and sword on two globes in pearl circle +1720+VTRVMQ+VIRT+PROTEGO

Cayón 8067, KM 302.1 or 318.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Figleaf

I haven't figured out the second coin, but I suspect that it is struck for a French or Southern Netherlands feudal state. On the side with the shield I read SIT+NOMEN+DOMINI (beneditvm) which is the motto used by the French kings. Can you read the legend on the other side or say something about the devices in the coat of arms?

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

translateltd

If you rotate the "cross" side 90° anticlockwise, the legends on both sides look to be very similar, and possibly blundered.  My initial take is that it's a late mediaeval jeton rather than a coin.  I have a few similar (somewhere!).

Sheep

Defenately a jeton, probably made in Tournai, late 15th/early 16th century.

Another example:

source
France (1497 - 1521) ...........Shield Type, 27mm Diameter. Struck at Tournai.
Collecting continental sterling imitations. It can be seen here.

Figleaf

Thanks, gentlemen. Sheep's shield looks like a great match and the cross side is good enough. Tournai would be a likely source, enough to the North to be into the production of counters, close enough to France to be influenced by its coins and a history of counter making. I don't see Tournai's tower mintmark, so I presume the Tournai information came from documents.

Peter