News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

1902 Edward VII One Rupee - Possible?

Started by guamit, May 06, 2015, 10:04:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

guamit

Hi,

My mother-in-law found an Edward VII One Rupee coin among other coins in her old stash. What surprised me is the date on the coin - 1902. Is that even possible? I thought the Edward VII series started only in 1903.

Should I consider the coin a fake? She must have had the coin for the last 50-60 years. I am surprised there were good quality fakes at that time?

Any thoughts would be helpful.

Thank you!

@josephjk

Would love to see a photo Guamit.....

Figleaf

It may be an altered date or a jewellers copy. Hard to say much more without a picture. Are weight and size correct? Does the edge look correct?

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

guamit

Here are the pics.

guamit

@josephjk

It's a fake but a decent one.... here's where it's most obvious...

guamit

@josephjk Thank you! Appreciate the help.

It is very interesting. The person who faked the coin must not have known that though Edward was the king in 1902, the coins bearing his figure were minted starting 1903!

Arpit0880

Sir I have same coin but posting photo size here option is 128kb so I don't know how but coin is same i have .and from flower side compare ing some one I don't agree it is fake

capnbirdseye

Quote from: Arpit0880 on February 01, 2018, 09:36:12 PM
Sir I have same coin but posting photo size here option is 128kb so I don't know how but coin is same i have .and from flower side compare ing some one I don't agree it is fake

Use this free image resizer  https://www.resizejpeg.com/
Vic

Arpit0880

Hay sir thanks for help

Figleaf

An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.