Author Topic: 1 Rouble 1924  (Read 1009 times)

Offline Lori

1 Rouble 1924
« on: May 03, 2015, 04:23:04 PM »

Hello everybody,

What's your opinion regarding the edge of this coin 1 Rouble 1924, a blank with problems before minting or just an accident ?

Thankyou !

Online Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: 1 Rouble 1924
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2015, 06:25:50 PM »
Excellent pictures! I think there was a piece of pollutant (possibly a badly mixed piece of copper) captured in the metal. It expanded quicker or more extensively than the silver alloy as the strike heated the flan. When the coin was annealed, the weak spot broke open. Very interesting error.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Lori

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2015, 07:54:08 PM »
Excellent pictures! I think there was a piece of pollutant (possibly a badly mixed piece of copper) captured in the metal. It expanded quicker or more extensively than the silver alloy as the strike heated the flan. When the coin was annealed, the weak spot broke open. Very interesting error.

Peter

Thank you Peter !
It look's like it's not the only error of this coin. It's not a museum quality coin, but I like it.

Offline bgriff99

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2015, 08:56:46 AM »
Regarding the edge flaw, there is a mark showing something hit the obverse pretty hard at that point on the rim.   Instead of deforming, it was already stressed from the edge impression, and broke at that point.