Linked Events

• 23rd Shukla Day Coin Fair -Mumbai: April 18, 2014 - April 20, 2014
  • 24th Shukla Day Coin Fair -Mumbai: April 17, 2015 - April 19, 2015

Author Topic: 24th Shukla Day Coin Fair -Mumbai  (Read 10210 times)

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
24th Shukla Day Coin Fair -Mumbai
« Reply #30 on: April 22, 2015, 06:31:33 AM »
Thanks for the updates. Yep looks like Republic India is down from the peak of 2012 ... I guess to much of investment has made people move out of the hobby ... quite a few recent proofs are selling below the issue price.

Imagine situation of those who bought number of sets thinking that their value would appreciate fast in future...Hope people will learn lesson now. What I found surprising that even the older proof sets from 70's couldn't attract buyers. Either everyone has them or they were too expensive (I didn't ask price) but absolutely no interest! :o

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Offline dheer

• Honorary Member
  • Indian Coins & Currencies
    • Coins of Republic India
Re: 24th Shukla Day Coin Fair -Mumbai
« Reply #31 on: April 23, 2015, 05:23:00 AM »
I think that's what happened, quite a few collectors entered the market at its peak around 2011-2012 and when they saw prices of sets almost doubled / tripled in a span of few years, quite a few hit the fray, once things started to cool down around 2013-14, investors / newbies realised that its hype and returns are not guaranteed, so its back to old days. The prices in some cases are still high because of acquisition cost and the seller is not willing to sell at loss.
http://coinsofrepublicindia.blogspot.in
A guide on Republic India Coins & Currencies

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
« Reply #32 on: April 23, 2015, 06:00:52 AM »
The million dollar question is: Will they be lucky enough to recover their investments? If someone has bought a particular item for 10k in 2011 and he's selling it for the same price today, then he's actually in a huge loss...I personally don't think the market will go up (like in 2011-12) anytime soon so hard times ahead for hoarders. Perhaps many investors are now back to share market as there's kind of 'boom boom' situation there; so money inflow to coins has dried up.

I also heard some ridiculously shocking news regarding entry of politicians in this hobby (and the money being spent); but since it's not confirmed, I won't share it in public forum. ;)

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Offline aarkay

• Errors....Errors.....and Errors
« Reply #33 on: April 23, 2015, 06:15:56 AM »
I also heard some ridiculously shocking news regarding entry of politicians in this hobby (and the money being spent); but since it's not confirmed, I won't share it in public forum. ;)

Aditya

Hi Aditya...

It is an old story...the people to cover the black money invest in old and scarce coins,notes and stamps...if there is questions they claim they are collectors and the face value is taken for tax purpose...for example a bundle of rupee note of K.R.Menon or S.Bhoothalingam at face value is just hundred rupees....but market value is ;D ....No Swiss trail to be afraid of...

Aarkay
Why worry about dead yesterdays and unborn tomorrows….live in the present…a present for you today…

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
« Reply #34 on: April 23, 2015, 06:24:22 AM »
Hi Aditya...

It is an old story...the people to cover the black money invest in old and scarce coins,notes and stamps...if there is questions they claim they are collectors and the face value is taken for tax purpose...for example a bundle of rupee note of K.R.Menon or S.Bhoothalingam at face value is just hundred rupees....but market value is ;D ....No Swiss trail to be afraid of...

Indeed it's an old news, but the amount invested by a single politician (don't know the name but you can always guess :D) is SO BIG that it is capable of destroying the hobby!

Aditya

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
« Reply #35 on: April 23, 2015, 06:51:58 AM »
I know of investment consultants who work to get people to invest in Coins..................  Where is the hobby left?

Amit
"It Is Better To Light A Candle Than To Curse The Darkness"

Online Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #36 on: April 23, 2015, 09:26:12 AM »
Check upthread, Amit. People who call themselves "investment consultant" and advise to invest in collectibles (including coins) are self-destructing.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
« Reply #37 on: April 23, 2015, 09:42:12 AM »
Heard of people investing in collectibles - antiques, paintings (new as well as old / renowned artists) but investing in Coins........... where even one find / reminting run can ruin values is something that is hard to swallow. Yet this guy, whom I know for a few years has kicked a very high paying job with a multinational (German) company (where he was the boss in Ahmedabad)..... and still continues. A major benefit for collectors is that he advices / breaks the Proof sets to collect individual coins...............(another thing that I can not fathom).

Amit
"It Is Better To Light A Candle Than To Curse The Darkness"

Offline dheer

• Honorary Member
  • Indian Coins & Currencies
    • Coins of Republic India
« Reply #38 on: April 23, 2015, 01:44:29 PM »
I think there is cycle, investors come in thinking to make big money ... realize that quite a few times [almost always :)] loose money and flee the market ...

Art as collectible is a rich man's hobby and even at times they get into coins, its typically high value ones like Gold coins etc.

Mostly its newbie investors who get lured by pseudo high returns and fall into the trap.
http://coinsofrepublicindia.blogspot.in
A guide on Republic India Coins & Currencies