Author Topic: Alternative to Isopropyl Alcohol?  (Read 6448 times)

Offline aliqizalbash

• aliqizalbash.wordpress.com
Alternative to Isopropyl Alcohol?
« on: April 13, 2009, 09:05:59 AM »
I have a hard time finding isopropyl alcohol here in Lahore, Pakistan. Does anyone know where it is available here? Is there any alternative to it (to use in curing the bronze disease)?.

Regards,
Ali

Note: Edited title.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2009, 04:54:40 AM by qachar »

Offline bruce61813

• Meritorious Member
    • Gringgotts Coins
Re: Alternative to Isopropyl Alcohol?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2009, 05:46:08 PM »
Isopropyl alcohol is also know as rubbing alcohol, so you might check your local drug store / chemist shop [I am not sure what they are called in Pakistan, sorry]. It is a wood derived alcohol and not drinkable. It's main use in treating Bronze disease is in the final step to help remove any remaining water from the coin.
I prefer using a combination of sodium carbonate and sodium bi-carbonate to treat Bronze disease, it is effective and safe to work with.

Bruce

Offline aliqizalbash

• aliqizalbash.wordpress.com
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2009, 08:07:37 PM »
Isopropyl alcohol is also know as rubbing alcohol, so you might check your local drug store / chemist shop [I am not sure what they are called in Pakistan, sorry]. It is a wood derived alcohol and not drinkable. It's main use in treating Bronze disease is in the final step to help remove any remaining water from the coin.
I prefer using a combination of sodium carbonate and sodium bi-carbonate to treat Bronze disease, it is effective and safe to work with.

Bruce

Of what I understand isopropyl alcohol is used as an absorbent of water in the final stage. Though I do have the rest of the essential things [bi-carb etc], I can not find this anywhere.

Now when you say rubbing alcohol, are you in any way referring to ethyl/methyl alcohol which is used in surgeries and as an antiseptic? If that is it, then it's readily available under the name of "Spirit Alcohol" here in Pakistan.

Regards,
Ali

Offline bruce61813

• Meritorious Member
    • Gringgotts Coins
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2009, 04:09:08 PM »
Ali, the 'Spirit alcohol' will do very well. What is happening is that water and alcohol will 'dissolve' 100% into each other, so water will be leached out of the coin [I would soak the coin for a day ]. Then dry the coin in the sun or some where that warms it to over 100 degrees F [ 38 deg. C] or warm to the touch. Alcohol will "boil" at about that temperature and take the moisture with it. I hope this helps

Bruce