Author Topic: Ilkhan:Uljaytu (1304-1316) AR 2 dirhams, AH710, Amul Mint (Album-2184B)  (Read 1317 times)

Offline aws22

• Honorary Member
Re: Ilkhan:Uljaytu (1304-1316) AR 2 dirhams, AH710, Amul Mint (Album-2184B)
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2019, 06:24:00 PM »
Yes Saro, in that thread it was the word "Muhammad محمد " written in some form of ornamental calligraphy.

Maythem
Coin collecting has a curious name. It is also called the "Hobby of Kings".

Offline altaycoins

• altaycoins.com
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2019, 09:41:41 PM »
Great to see tree different specimen together in this thread from different mints. Perhaps the carpet beater might be interpreted as a mint mark for thos who could not read ?

It took some time for me to understand what the carpet beater is and why we are talking about that :) Thanks to THCoins, I understood. It is also called as Knot of Happiness (Saadet Düğümü) and also the Beyliks (Principalities of Anatolia) used this figure heavily..

They are not mint marks but in some cases these can be associated with the master engraver of the mint. There are examples in the early years of Ilkhans where we can track the location of a mint master with his star and later with a daisy-like ornament. But in the later stages, in this case Uljaytu, it is mostly related to the taste of the engraver I suppose.

Since we are talking about this type in particular, I cannot let it pass without my dolphin :)

2 Dirham, Saweh 709AH.

And in some cases mint name is located there instead of an ornament.

2 Dirham, Firuzan 710AH.

Offline altaycoins

• altaycoins.com
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2019, 09:50:27 PM »
I guess Sultaniya already was called Sultaniya before it became the capital ? Otherwise this would be very weird.
From memory, mine is dated AH711, so not earlier, but one year later.

Yes it was called as Sultaniya before it became a capital. But already it is a city built by the order of Uljaytu in 709 to have a new capital. As a word Sultaniya means "belonging to the Sultan".

Offline THCoins

• Honorary Member
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2019, 03:29:06 PM »
Nice specimen and additions to the thread Yigit ! I do not know who started the term "carpetbeater" but it seems to have caught on in the numismatic lingo here. Also shows that the jargon is alive !
I love your fishy coin !  I can not add another Ilkhan animal logo, but the one below i bought largely for the fish.