Author Topic: Reproduction banknotes for sale on eBay  (Read 1481 times)

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
  • "illegitimi non carborundum"
    • Mals Machine Tokens
Reproduction banknotes for sale on eBay
« on: April 08, 2015, 02:45:40 PM »
I was most disturbed to find this seller on eBay.  >:(

At the present time he lists 43 separate lots for sale with several reproduction notes in each lot, nothing is genuine which he does proudly explain: Reproduction/Replica/Copy/Copie  Size as original / Paper: 100 gr/m2  Printed images of obverse and reverse with the same size as the original

...but what happens when these notes are onsold?  ???

For instance see the two notes below these are very rare and difficult to find in any condition.  ::)
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

Offline Afrasi

• Honorary Member
  • To do is to doo be dooh ...
Re: Reproduction banknotes for sale on eBay
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2015, 08:55:45 PM »
I just checked my Biafra notes. They are used, but they seem "clean". At least they have different numbers ...

I do not know much about notes, but I guess the paper of these fakes should be feelable different.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2015, 10:29:15 PM »
[rant] In my innocence, I believed eBay had a policy against imitations. Or does that work only when there's a big company threatening to sue them? Shaming them sometimes helps somewhat, but it takes a big effort and in general, they have no shame and let "shareholder value" trump consumer interest, crying caveat emptor to make sure you understand their bonuses are far more important than fraud. At best, the seller has to open a new account under a different name. Wikipedia can identify sock puppets, but poor eBay can't.

It is fraud. The deal is exactly the same as what Birmingham manufacturers proposed to the British poor in the early 19th century: "we'll make perfectly legal and very good copies of large silver coins in brass. If you decide to give them a silver wash and spend them, that's your business and risk and we don't want to know." There are times I wish the communist were back to keep the hyper-capitalists at least somewhat honest.

I think eBay is immoral. It is an unregulated, unsupervised market, where thieves go to sell their loot and fraudster go to deceive. It is the direct reason why it has become impossible to collect cast cash coins, Portuguese Indian coins and Balkan Romans. I don't care if you can find good deals there. I don't buy there. [/rant]

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
    • Mals Machine Tokens
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2015, 09:35:08 AM »
Everything has now been removed from that eBay sellers site!  I would love to know what happened?  ???

But what happens with the banknote reproductions? will they turn up elsewhere?  ???
Malcolm

Offline capnbirdseye

• Vic
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2015, 10:27:23 AM »
The same thing is happening with the stamps of  Indian princely states, so easy to copy with modern printers & now lots are appearing of really hard to find types, even the rubber ink stamp would be easy to make  :o
Vic

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
    • Mals Machine Tokens
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2016, 02:23:40 AM »
I found today, over eighteen months later, that this seller stoneyburnsteve is still selling these copies on eBay. He has 28 lots up for sale at present.

What concerns me is when they are onsold they won't be mentioned as copies.
Malcolm