Author Topic: Market value of these coins  (Read 20423 times)

Offline peter_pan

• Reader
Market value of these coins
« on: April 02, 2015, 09:30:45 AM »
Edited
« Last Edit: April 19, 2015, 12:29:33 AM by peter_pan »

Offline dheer

• Honorary Member
  • Indian Coins & Currencies
    • Coins of Republic India
Re: Market value of these coins
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2015, 11:22:29 AM »
I found these coins in my grandmother's bank locker, I'm not a coin collector and i have no idea if these are of any value or not, searching elsewhere on internet i saw many people making obnoxious claims for the value of these coins, i just need help identifying these and their appropriate market value i.e. if any.

20 paisa, Mahatma Gandhi image on back
20 paisa, 1970 India
1 naya paisa 1963
1 pice; 1951, 1955, 1953, 1945, 1944
1 rupee coin with jawahar lal Nehru image on back

Thank You!
Most of these Republic India coin would be in the range of Rs 20 to Rs 50 if you were to directly find a buyer [it is hard]. A coin dealer may give you around Rs 1 to Rs 2 per coin.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2019, 07:20:13 PM by eurocoin »
http://coinsofrepublicindia.blogspot.in
A guide on Republic India Coins & Currencies

Offline dheer

• Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2015, 11:25:00 AM »
1 ram temple token
pao anna gwalior state, 1946
100 yen 1967 Japan
1 sen 1967 Malaysia
1 pakistani paisa; 1963, 1969, 1961
5 Pakistani paisa, 1964
25 pakistani paisa, 1976
1 dime 1949 USA

Most of these would again be in the range of Rs 50 to Rs 100 if you were to directly sell to buyer, else dealer may not even buy this from you in such small quantities.

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
Market value of these coins
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2015, 11:28:58 AM »
Completely agree with Dheer.

If you are a buyer; you'd pay 50-100 rupees per coin; if you are a seller, they are worth 10-20 rupees. British India coins can fetch good amount (I'm no expert) but don't expect making fortune out of this.

A better option is to build a collection around these coins. You can think of completing a series or just pick up a theme (e.g tigers on coins, coins denominated in rupee etc). That fun would be much more worth than actual monetary value of the coins. :)

aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Offline dheer

• Honorary Member
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2015, 04:54:48 PM »
1 rupee 1887, 1947, 1840,

Just saw the images, the British India Silver should be in the range of Rs 1000/-

Offline peter_pan

• Reader
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2015, 02:57:52 AM »
1 rupee 1887, 1947, 1840,

Just saw the images, the British India Silver should be in the range of Rs 1000/-
Completely agree with Dheer.

If you are a buyer; you'd pay 50-100 rupees per coin; if you are a seller, they are worth 10-20 rupees. British India coins can fetch good amount (I'm no expert) but don't expect making fortune out of this.

A better option is to build a collection around these coins. You can think of completing a series or just pick up a theme (e.g tigers on coins, coins denominated in rupee etc). That fun would be much more worth than actual monetary value of the coins. :)

aditya

Thank you for the replies, just wanted to know if these were worth collecting or not,
much appreciated.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2015, 01:37:38 PM »
Different question. The answer from dedicated collectors will not surprise you: yes, this is a fun start of a collection. The real question is therefore, are you motivated to collect coins? If you are not sell them, take the handful of dollars and let someone else enjoy them. If you are, these coins will repay you many times over as you try to understand them down to the flimsiest detail.

They'll teach you to bargain, to appreciate beauty, to read foreign words, geography, foreign scripts, metallurgy, they will improve your photography, your network of friends and acquaintances, your knowledge of history and postal regulations and even your ability to surf the net. It's up to you now.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline bububoy

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2015, 07:03:42 PM »
They'll teach you to bargain, to appreciate beauty, to read foreign words, geography, foreign scripts, metallurgy, they will improve your photography, your network of friends and acquaintances, your knowledge of history and postal regulations and even your ability to surf the net.

every bit, word by word true, i like the way you take pains to explain in so much detail, yet seem so simple !

mahe

Offline unnut

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2015, 03:40:16 AM »
Edited

Hi,
I saw this post quite late. Hopefully you still have these coins.Contrary to what everyone is telling you, I see 2 coins here which are of considerable value. These are 1 rupee coins of 1947. Since your image contains the reverse side of both these coins, one can see that there is no mint mark, and therefore these are Lahore mint coins. While the picture is not very clear, based on what I can see, your coins appear to be uncirculated ( or close to it).
Lahore mint rupees in uncirculated state are difficult to find. If I were you, I will get those 2 coins checked out by dealers, or post clearer pictures of obverse and reverse here itself, and we can tell you if these are uncirculated or not.