login

Author Topic: Fraudulent seller from Mumbai  (Read 4063 times)

Offline escapist

Fraudulent seller from Mumbai
« on: March 19, 2015, 09:41:33 AM »
To sum up several parallel discussions here I would encourage us to create a cumulative thread with information of what we know about the fraudulent Mumbai seller and the fakes.

1. He uses multiple eBay IDs: verokamath, virokamath, coinex2015, kumbhal, pritiscoin.

2. He lists identical fakes but does it in a systematic way so that it is generally difficult to trace that unless you follow him for longer time when the types finally start repeating.
Not a very characteristic example but still:
http://www.ebay.in/itm/india-Princely-State-Indore-1-8-Rupee-Very-Fine-/221643327541?pt=IN_Coins_Notes&hash=item339af8c835
http://www.ebay.in/itm/india-Princely-State-Indore-1-8-Rupee-Very-Fine-Scares-/151610678900?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_203&hash=item234cb35e74
I bought an identical fake from him last year.

3. Supposedly he is
RAMESH CHANDRA G. SONI and mobile number is 9594364381
Ramesh Chandra
39, Ram Nath Mishan
PS Road Santa Cruz
Mum - 400054

4. Some of the fakes that he sells also appear at 'Maru's Auction'. There is a discussion at Coin Forgery Awareness Group on fb that started on 22 Feb.

http://www.maruauction.com/items/Silver-Drachma-of-Jaitra-Simha-of-Chowhans-of-Ranthambor-/15/103.html
http://www.ebay.in/itm/india-hindu-coins-of-medieval-Chauhans-of-Ranastanbhor-Jaitra-Simha-Silver-Dramm-/151609550954?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_203&hash=item234ca2286a

5. He tries to 'improve' the fakes by applying varying degrees of wear.

6. We have to make him publicly known.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2015, 09:59:19 AM by escapist »

Offline escapist

Re: Fraudulent seller from Mumbai
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2015, 10:00:43 AM »
« Last Edit: March 19, 2015, 10:36:50 AM by escapist »

Offline escapist

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2015, 10:15:38 AM »
I believe this is another type of his fakes. My coin comes from the same seller - http://www.worldofcoins.eu/forum/index.php/topic,24874.0.html.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2015, 10:30:50 AM by escapist »

Offline capnbirdseye

• Vic
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2015, 11:34:46 AM »
I agree this man must be stopped, there are several threads on Fb inc one started by our own member Mitresh, I think Verokamath is going to come to  a sticky end very shortly because too many people have seen the posts on Fb & he will be challenged at first sighting at a coin fair.

I also have purchased coins from this man 2 years ago, back then all the coins I had were Sultanate & Mughal & all genuine & very cheap to buy, then these weird shiny chocolate coloured coins began to appear of all sorts of hard to find Princely states such as Rewah & I had 3 or 4 before I got a bit wary & stopped because prices were going far too high & I could see the coins didn't look right somehow.

The odd part of this is that some very common coins also have the same colour treatment, I had 20 cheap mixed coppers from him, mostly Gwalior & Sailana & several unidentified & when they arrived I saw the shiny chocolate colour again. These coins have some treatment that is hard to remove & I've carried out some experiments on some of them.
 They won't darken when exposed to Sulphur, heat them red hot with a blowtorch & when they cool down they look exactly the same whereas usually copper coins change colour if treated this way.

Greed will be his downfall because now the market is flooded with these coins, Ebay as usual will take no action but I imagine there will be a mass of complaints before long as more collectors realise they have fakes.
Vic

Offline Overlord

• Honorary Member
  • Tamdiu discendum est, quamdiu vivas
    • Overlord's stamp and coin collection
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2015, 05:03:40 AM »
They won't darken when exposed to Sulphur, heat them red hot with a blowtorch & when they cool down they look exactly the same
You need to travel to Mordor and throw them into the pit of Mount Doom. 

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2015, 03:34:05 PM »
While it is most excellent to have such reports here, all they do is protect people here. To stop the fraudster, he needs to be exposed to the police or another relevant authority. My experience is that eBay doesn't care, but others have better experience.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline capnbirdseye

• Vic
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2015, 04:52:27 PM »
Has anyone heard whether this fraudster has been challenged because Ebay is still full of this fake stuff from the same seller, the links posted above still show sellers have fake coins for salle
Vic

Offline MORGENSTERNN

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2015, 06:33:50 PM »
Hello

I also bought fakes from this sender
He doesn't refund me (old sells more than one year) so I use the following recipe :

First compare the list of people that follow him to people that put comments on sales
Then PM the biggest buyers with a link on this topic
Let boil one week and the sender will stop his activity  ;)

Offline MORGENSTERNN

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2015, 06:36:11 PM »
By the way he changes his Ebay ID to coinvirasat

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2015, 10:05:44 PM »
Keep making life miserable for the fraudster.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline MORGENSTERNN

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2015, 06:01:16 PM »
Here pictures and weights of coins from this seller
I suggest to other buyer to publish here the fake coins they bought

A buyer from him told me silver ones are fake but coppers genuine the colour is according to him an effect of cleaning and retoning by exposure to the sun
The seller himself told me colour is result from cleaning process

I am lost may someone tell me witch are fake among those I bought ?
« Last Edit: July 21, 2015, 10:24:36 PM by MORGENSTERNN »

Offline MORGENSTERNN

« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2015, 12:17:03 PM »
Hello

The seller is back with a new list on Ebay on his new ID coinvirasat

http://www.ebay.fr/sch/m.html?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEFSXS%3AMESOI&_ssn=coinvirasat&_sop=10

You can also make a search on this item (as listed by seller)
"india Princely State Lunavada Paisa Lion to Right Very Fine+ Scares"
and you will see again that coin...

Offline MORGENSTERNN

« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2015, 04:55:58 PM »
Here I got an example of 1/2 paisa from Sunth from this seller with a 1 paisa from the same die on one side (picture 2) and from a reliable seller
Is the 1/2 paisa a fake in your opinion ?