Author Topic: USA coins from Siberian Man  (Read 3610 times)

Online Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: USA coins from Siberian Man
« Reply #45 on: November 11, 2017, 07:21:04 PM »
I began collecting Lincoln cents in 1957 from circulation.   Indian heads were completely gone by then, but only 48 years since the last ones struck.   We commonly see today nickels from 1940-41, and a few cents from the 1940's and 50's.    Which is 70 years.

I think it has to do with the Lincoln cents being all the same size, while the flying eagle cents are noticeably thicker. My first trip to the US was in 1971. There wasn't a zinc cent to be found in circulation, but I did find (pretty worn) brass cents (28/27 years after the first one was struck). I think the reason is colour: the grey zinc cents stood out, the brass cents developed a bronzish look.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Finn235

« Reply #46 on: November 15, 2017, 03:48:21 PM »
Superb coins!

I like US coins, but most are too expensive for my blood. Thankfully, relatively few design or composition changes means that many coins can be pulled from circulation. I was able to get all cents back to about 1937, all nickels except 1939-D and two of the war nickels, and about two solid rolls of Buffalo nickels when I worked as a cashier for 4 years in college.

I used to frequent the roll hunting forums of a few other sites; some pretty impressive things can be found in US change.

Also, by zinc cents I assume you mean the 1943 zinc-coated steel? Those are actually dumped into coin counters all the time, but all industrial counters in the US use strong magnets to pull foreign coins out of circulation. Those are the only magnetic coins the US has ever made, so they are the only thing that gets pulled out 99% of the time when they get dumped.

Offline gerard974

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #47 on: November 15, 2017, 05:09:28 PM »
hello
very nice collection ,for my collection of circulation coins just 3 coins are missing 5 cents KM 133 and the quarters KM 114  and 141.
maybee one day i go to find ?
best regards  Gerard