Author Topic: Shah Jahan: Rupee, Surat, AH 1037 RY Ahd, KM 222.13 complete dotted border  (Read 458 times)

Offline mitresh

• Honorary Member
Shah Jahan, Silver Rupee, Surat, 11.55g, 24mm, AH 1037 RY Ahd, KM 222.13

A beautiful specimen with complete dotted border, exquisite calligraphy and decorative fields, befitting the occasion of the Emperor's accession to the Mughal throne.
In the quest for Excellence, there's no finish line.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Congratulation with the latest addition to your "ahd" coins, Mitresh. Super piece with the whole die visible and no trace of a shroff's evil punches. ;) The patina makes me believe it was always in the hands of a collector or stored as a souvenir. A coin worthy of a moghul who so highly appreciated beauty.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline mitresh

• Honorary Member
I know your feeling Peter. When I saw this gem, I simply had to acquire it, no matter the cost. Unfortunately I lost out but fortunately the successful bidder turned out to be a dealer out to make a quick buck. A higher premium offer over the hammer and, like the fluctuating loyalties during the Mughal times, the silver changed hands! Such is the story behind this coin.........it will forever remind me how first I lost it and how I had to scramble and cobble up an offer to re-gain what I lost......Shah Jahan would approve as he himself faced this dilemma in his quest for Qandhar later in his reign.
In the quest for Excellence, there's no finish line.