News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Thailand - 2015 issues

Started by adam, March 05, 2015, 06:54:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bimat

I'm seeing a Thai BU set for the first time! Never knew that they actually exist! :o

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

adam

I'm not sure we can call BU set. Since Treasury department never indicated how exactly they made it.
But they are very neat selection.
We have mint set since old circulation coin released, in 1986 or 1987. I'm not sure with dated set was the first release.
The set contains all denominations coin from 1 satang to 10 baht. Also copper zodiac medal of its release year.
But very low mintage about 3000-5000 set a year.
Thai bimetallic coins and nickel alloy 10, 20, 50 & 100 baht coins
Last update: Dec 2015 updated only nickel coin info.

Pabitra

I think they are minted by a private mint since
1. Smaller denominations included are neither minted for regular release nor accepted as legal tender.

2. Some coins are as per old specifications.

Can you confirm this please?

adam

No. It's official mint set.
1. Small denominations are only used in interbank transaction. You are not going to find them in general circulation. But yes they are legal tender.
Some have suggested round-up system like many countries. But it's up to government to decide that. I heard that they all already cost more than face value.
25 and 50 satang coin are now struggling. We may see some change sooner than expected.

2. I think you mean the set during 2011 when we were changing from old coin set to current set. There was some denominations that still used old blank. So it was mixed in the set. Only 10 baht coin that still keep the same specification, only slightly change in design.

Here is the thing.
Sub-division of Treasury dept. that involve coin producing is Royal Thai Mint, Monetary Management, National Grand Treasure.
RTM mint all coin, medal and decoration. They may do it by themselves or outsourcing.
MM excercise coin's distribution throughout the country, including commemorative coin.
NGT take care of all old treasures and its museum. Profit from selling mint set, medal and old coins that was made up price and sell in their shop will be used for that. You'll see the name in back of mint set folder. There are also some numismatic product like blister set or bookmark set that have small satang coins in it too. But official set will only come out with folder.

From what I knew RTM will select good quality from early striking and keep aside. Then NGT will release it when they get all coins and pack them for the set.

Figleaf

Interesting to hear how RTM and NGT co-operate. Co-operation between two government agencies is difficult in all countries. So NGT sells to the public. By mail? By internet? Do they operate shops? Will they sell to foreign buyers?

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

adam

Well, they just do what Treasury dept. director says since they both are a part of it.  ;)

NGT has the shop in their museums, one of them is inside Grand Palace, also a shop at RTM building too.
There is ecatalog website to order their numistamic product. Old commemorative coin in new packageing, medal, decoration, mint set and orther stuffs.
Unlike MM (by regulation, can't surcharge over the coin's face value even the postage cost), they have sending by mail service.
I'm not sure they will take order from abroad, if that's what you mean. But they have participated in WMF for many years.
But I never ask what they sell in the fair.

Pabitra

I tried the shop in Grand Palace couple of times.
Either it was closed or most items were out of stock.
I did pick up almost all 10 and 20 Baht coins at nominal premium, from roadside vendors on way to Charaya river boat stop from Grand Palace.

They do sell 20 and 50 Baht proof coins from their stall at WMF Berlin but the premium is high and selection quite limited.

There are quite a few active traders from Bangkok on eBay.

gerard974

Quote from: Pabitra on June 22, 2015, 08:16:49 AM
I tried the shop in Grand Palace couple of times.
Either it was closed or most items were out of stock.
I did pick up almost all 10 and 20 Baht coins at nominal premium, from roadside vendors on way to Charaya river boat stop from Grand Palace.

They do sell 20 and 50 Baht proof coins from their stall at WMF Berlin but the premium is high and selection quite limited.

There are quite a few active traders from Bangkok on eBay.

hello
i am very happy with this seller

http://webproxy.net/view?q=http%3A%2F%2Fstores.ebay.com%2FAsian-Treasury

gerard

adam

Update new coins release date:

IUSS Humanitarian Soil Scientist Award to HM King Bhumibol Adulyadej on 1 Dec 2015

80th Anniversary of Thammasat University on 8 Dec 2015
100th Anniversary of the Revenue Department 8 Dec 2015

Pabitra

adam

Quote from: Pabitra on October 29, 2015, 05:27:07 AM
What are the denominations?

IUSS Humanitarian Soil Scientist Award to HM King Bhumibol Adulyadej - 20, 800 & 16000 baht
80th Anniversary of Thammasat University on 8 Dec 2015 - 20 baht
100th Anniversary of the Revenue Department 8 Dec 2015 - 100 baht <-- about crown size coin

Pabitra

Then which is this coin?

adam

@Pabitra
It is 120th Birthday of HM King Prajadhipok (Rama VII).
For more detail check in Thailand - 2014 issues

Pabitra

Bimat

Royal Thai Mint officials probed over coins theft

10 Jul 2016 at 18:23

PATHUM THANI — Twenty employees of the Royal Thai Mint were summoned for questioning on Sunday in connection with the disappearance of 50 polished-gold commemorative coins marking HRH Princess Maha Chakri Sirindhorn's 60th birthday last year.

The coins, made in the denomination of 16,000 baht, went missing from a vault in the Coin Press Room of the Royal Thai Mint in Khlong Luang district on May 21. Police said the coins were flawed and were waiting to be destroyed when they were stolen from people they believed were staff members as there was no break-in marks on the vault.   

The value of the missing coins was not known, but they had been sold to the public for 30,000 baht each. 

Pathum Thani police chief Thaworn Kaosa-ard said the 20 employees were called in by Khlong Luang police for additional inquiries, with three of them, who were vault key holders, being at the centre of the investigation.

[...]

Source: Bangkok Post
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.