login

Author Topic: Germany 2018: €2 Berlin  (Read 787 times)

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
Germany 2018: €2 Berlin
« on: February 25, 2015, 01:35:30 PM »
In the "German States" series of commemorative €2 coins, the 2018 piece will be dedicated to the state of Berlin. The coin, designed by Bodo Broschat, shows Charlottenburg palace.

Christian

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
Re: Germany 2018: €2 Berlin
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2016, 07:46:53 PM »
This will be the last issue in that series. As usual, all five mints (A, D, F, G, J) will make the pieces.

Christian
« Last Edit: November 25, 2016, 10:08:20 PM by chrisild »

Offline eurocoin

• Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2016, 09:59:18 PM »
This will be the last issue in that series.

I thought it was going to continue until 2021?  ???

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2016, 10:10:59 PM »
Right you are, and embarrassed I am. :-[ What I meant was something like, this is the last known design at this stage. They are usually presented in groups, so we have known about this design for quite a while, whereas the last three are (AFAIK) not known yet.

Christian

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2016, 11:15:42 AM »
Must have been a difficult job to decide on what symbolises Berlin best. The Brandenburger Tor is a cliché, some of the best stuff is outside Berlin (Humboldt university) or liable to give an unwanted impression (Deutsche Widerstandsmuseum in the former German army HQ in the Nazi era, the Gedächtniskirche, devoted to war victims but bombed out by the Americans). However, Charlottenburg didn't make it to my list of most impressive Berlin monuments. I would have preferred the reconstructed Reichstag dome or, failing that, the monument known affectionately to Berliners as the Goldilse something like "the golden harpy".

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2016, 12:53:49 PM »
Problem with the entire series that it's almost always one building in one city that is then supposed to represent the entire state. While I also think that this way of doing it is better than using a plain CoA or flag, in many cases the question comes up, why a building from that city? (That has recently been the case with the Rhineland-Palatinate coin which comes early next year.) What might have been a viable solution - always depict the state parliament building. Ah well ...

Anyway, with Berlin you have the additional issue that many prominent buildings are "federal" or of national relevance rather than being "about" the city and state. The Reichstag Building for example is the house of the Bundestag's plenary sessions, the Brandenburg Gate is constantly marketed and pushed as a national symbol. The Humboldt University is right in downtown Berlin (Unter den Linden) but there are other universities in the city. Maybe a combination of the Nikolaikirche (St. Nicholas) and the TV Tower could have worked, also because they actually are close together.

OK, it will be Charlottenburg, why not. And the symmetric design I do not love, but it is almost a natural choice when it comes to such buildings. :)

Christian

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2017, 07:58:57 PM »
I thought it was going to continue until 2021?  ???

Update - Due to the fact that Schleswig-Holstein will have the Bundesrat presidency again (in 2018/2019), the series will be continued until 2022. See here.

Christian
« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 08:14:16 PM by chrisild »

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2017, 10:51:33 PM »
Great! If they become anal retentive if they can't issue two 2 euro commemoratives a year, they can easily do worse than a picture of an inspiring, nice looking spot. It's just not very interesting that a building is in the state of Wildenstein-Bonkersberg. It's the view that's interesting.

This is a wonderful opportunity to drop the "gotta have all states represented equally" nonsense and just concentrate on nice buildings or street views whenever the powers that be lack inspiration. Spain is doing the same thing and look how well it works. Just leave the famous people and weighty occasions to the 10 euro and celebrate the country, provide instant souvenirs of nice moments and have people smile when they recognise the building on the coin.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline eurocoin

• Honorary Member
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2017, 09:27:54 PM »
And the minted coin..

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2017, 11:38:44 PM »
It's just not very interesting that a building is in the state of Wildenstein-Bonkersberg. It's the view that's interesting.

Except that this series is (as in, does be ;) ) about the German states, with each state being featured on one €2 coin. That is also why the coins never say anything about the depicted building; all you get is the state name. The Spanish concept is different in that the coins honor cultural heritage sites, not provinces or autonomous communities. Well, Germany has the €100 gold coins for that. Once the current €2 Länder series is over, the federal government may pick another theme series (hope that won't happen ::) ) or move to single issues.

Thanks for the image, eurocoin! This page shows the first strike ceremony, with the designer Bodo Broschat on the left. Except that the image does not show a coin but a plaster model. Side note: Broschat also designed the second €2 commem to be issued next year, the one that honors Helmut Schmidt.

Christian

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2017, 10:16:08 AM »
My argument was that if they are going to do a second Schleswig-Holstein issue, the boring one-per-state concept is broken anyway, so why not have some more cultural highlights? They'll automatically be in some state for those who want them to be, but they'll be about culture and history, not about political divisions. That may even be a reason why the Spanish designs work in such a politically divided country. History is a tie that binds.

Peter

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2017, 11:01:12 AM »
if they are going to do a second Schleswig-Holstein issue

Ah, but they won't. See the link in reply #6 here. :)

Agreed, if Germany had not picked the €100 denomination (gold collector coins) for the Cultural Heritage series, that could have been a neat theme for commemorative €2 coins. But with regard to collector coins, we already have several series now (fairy tales, trees and leaves, musical instruments), so I am sure there will be more ideas. Frankly, I am not that terribly fond of such theme series - I prefer commemorative coins that, uh, commemorate an anniversary or event ...

Christian