Author Topic: China, Yuan Dynasty, Ta Yuan value 5 Phags Pa script  (Read 760 times)

Offline bgriff99

• Meritorious Member
China, Yuan Dynasty, Ta Yuan value 5 Phags Pa script
« on: February 21, 2015, 10:50:55 AM »
Issued by Yuan emperor Cheng Tsung, in 1310 during the reign title Chih Ta.   The coin uses the dynastic title Ta Yuan (Great Yuan), reading "Ta Yuan T'ung Pao" top bottom left right.    They are quite common, and so may have continued to be issued during some of the following 22 years of only sparse and rare casting of small cash.

The script is called "Phags Pa", after its inventor.   Here in its seal form.   It was requested by Kubilai circa 1269, as a replacement for the existing "Mongol script", a version of the vertical Uighur script which was the first used by them, but not phonetically well suited.   Phags Pa is based on the inventor's native Tibetan, but adapted to have sounds so as to be able to accurately represent both Mongol and Chinese.   Kubilai insisted everyone use it, tried to establish schools to teach it, but nobody wanted it, long story short.    In its simplest straight line form, however, it is believed to have been the basis of Korean Hangul.

It strikes me as remarkable that such a nice relic of the Yuan should have a modern Chinese catalog value of 60 yuan, about $10.   Find one of its predecessors reading "Ta Te" or "Chi Yuan" and that's a whole different ball game.    Diameter 40mm, weight 17.6g.

Online THCoins

• Honorary Member
Re: China, Yuan Dynasty, Ta Yuan value 5 Phags Pa script
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2015, 07:37:16 PM »
Estetically i think the Phags Pa is a very nice script. But it has been shown so many times in history. People are conservative. It is very difficult to force something entirely new on them for which they felt no need.
As for the low price of these historic pieces; That's just the reason i ventured into the east. I am glad i can afford specimen that should be much more valued in my eyes.

Offline Pellinore

• Honorary Member
    • Some numismatic books for sale on our website
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2019, 09:31:13 PM »
What a beautiful coin. I just bought one at the ONS auction in Leiden, last Saturday, because it has ties to Mongolian and Central Asian coinage. Mine is a 10 wen coin of the same emperor. I wonder if the large size has anything to do with the contemporary broad AE dirhams? Well, almost contemporary, the thin broad AE dirhams were issued between about 1150 and 1270, I believe.

China, Yuan, Zhi-da, Emperor Wuzong of Yuan, AD 1308-1311. Also Külüg Khan, seventh Great Khan of the Mongol Empire (1307-1311). Da-yuan tong-bao, phags-pa 10 wen. 37.5 mm, 15.08 gr. Zeno 228596 = 221657. Hartill 19.46.

-- Paul

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2019, 11:38:56 AM »
Excellent coin! I hope you will find the time to post the others also.

Well, almost contemporary, the thin broad AE dirhams were issued between about 1150 and 1270, I believe.

Fun theory, but even if the size is comparable, the weight wouldn't be. More important, after Chabi's death in 1281, China started to drift away from the Mongol empire as Kublai remained depressed and incapable of decisive action until his death. The Yuan emperors were at odds with the Chagatai dynasty, which largely controlled central Asia from 1268. The Yuan kept their title of Khan for a while, but it meant nothing any more, even after the peace of 1304.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.