News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Au Mérite - 55, Av Malakoff

Started by bagerap, February 13, 2015, 01:14:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bagerap

55, Avenue Malakoff was the Parisian home of Alfred Nobel until 1891.

This hand engraved medal bears a monogram, the address and on the reverse
AU MÉRITE. I can find absolutely nothing, can't even confirm that the monogram is that of Nobel.

Brass (traces of silvering) 33 mm.

Figleaf

Mérite is feminine. The correct text would therefore have been "à la mérite". The A is clear but if there is a second letter, I am not sure what it is.

AN oak leaf is usually a symbol of strength. Looks like a prize medal. Street number is 59, not 55.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Figleaf

You are quite right. Sorry. Sounds strange :P

I tried hard to see AU. Nope. Doesn't make sense either. Au would be too unimportant to form the centre of the design. Tried AN (Alfred Nobel). Non plus. There could be half a D there, but that would be awkward. Just swirls looks like the best solution. Thought of some Nobel institute that would give out rewards like this to people they like and looked at the front door. There is a bronze plate right to the right, but it looks like a commemorative plaque. Nothing on Nobel institute Paris. Still, I would bet the A is for Alfred, not Adolf.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

saro

I confirm "au mérite" (masculin) is a formula present on some french medals (médailles du mérite), I join an example so that the picture of the Alfred Nobel House (59 av. de Malakoff is today 74 av. Poincaré in Paris)
"All I know is that I know nothing" (Socrates)