News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Croydon "For Valour" medal

Started by Henk, February 08, 2015, 04:11:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Henk

I have the following medal about which I would like infomation:

Bronze, gilt. 25 mm
O: Enamelled with number 1532
R: CROYDON / "FOR VALOUR"/ 3 - 12 - 10 / (name of maker) VAUGHTON BHAM

I assume 3 oktober 1910 is the date. I did not succeed in finding any inforation about this medal.

bagerap

It does have a slightly more modern look than 1910.

One remotely possible source is "Mighty Men of Valour", a youth mentoring organisation set up in Croydon in 2010. And Vaughton are still in business making badges and medals.

Figleaf

I presume BHAM stands for Birmingham?

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

constanius

The 3-12-10 would be for 3rd December 1910 or 2010.
This was included in the lot pictured below.

http://issuu.com/jammdesign/docs/dw_23_24.05.2012_highres 

The colour, purple, the "For Valour"(used by Emmeline Pankhurst's Women's Social and Political Union) and the date, if 1910, suggested to me a possible suffragette connection.

Croydon, a hot bed of suffragettes:
"Unlike the Pankhursts or Emily Davison, the names of Mary Pearson and Mrs Dempsey from the Women's Freedom League (WFL), are not recorded in any books about universal suffrage and the role of Croydon women in the suffragette movement has largely been forgotten in history.
From 1907 to 1914 suffrage societies in Croydon grew rapidly in size and number. Because of the town's close proximity to central London, women could travel to take part in marches and protests.
"
  http://www.croydonguardian.co.uk/news/2132181.print/ 

Seeing as the suffragette movement was political in nature, I then check for elections in Croydon 1910.  The majority vote for Ian Malcolm(conservative) was 1,532 on 3rd December.  So I assume he was the preferred winner for the suffragettes, who might have campaigned for him, even if they could not vote.  Or there is no connection between this political badge & the suffragettes, against
that is the "For Valour".
"The campaign for women's suffrage got bogged down in politics.   Some MPs opposed the Conciliation Bills because they did not want ANY women to get the vote.   Some pro-suffrage MPs opposed the Bills because they were too narrow.  Many Liberals opposed the Bills because they thought the 1 million rich women who would get the vote would vote Conservative.   After 1910, the government was faced by other crises (especially trouble in Ireland) and many MPs thought there were more important things to worry about"

Propaganda table-game: 'Pank-a-Squith'. Represents the attempts of Suffragists to reach the House of Commons showing the difficulties, prejudices and injustices which the suffragists had to meet. The suffrage movement produced toys and games to popularise its ideas and activities. The Pank-a-Squith board game was first advertised in Votes for Women on 22 October 1909. The game depicts the suffragettes' struggle with Prime Minister Herbert Asquith and the Liberal government.

"An examination of the voting records on all the women's suffrage bills presented to Parliament shows that Conservatives passed through three distinct phases. From 1867 to 1883, Conservatives consistently voted against suffrage bills by a margin of three or four to one. However, the following period, from 1884 to 1908, showed a reversal of this trend and, with one exception, the suffragists were in the majority. This growing support for women's suffrage owed a great deal to the efforts of the Primrose League and the National Union approved suffrage resolutions in 1887, 1889, 1891, 1894, 1907, 1908 and 1910."

Museum of Croydon

2 images from Wikipedia

Pat

Pat

Henk

Excellent information! Good research. Thanks for the attribution!

Two remarks:

The description of the auction lot states number 1535. This should be 1532. The way the medal was made is that all numbers should be the same. It is not a serial number it must have real significance.

The suffragettes issued quite a lot of medal. A lot of them have the words "for valour" on them. So it is not odd that this is also on this medal.

Henk

constanius

Quote from: Henk Groenendijk on February 12, 2015, 09:12:59 PM

The description of the auction lot states number 1535. This should be 1532. The way the medal was made is that all numbers should be the same. It is not a serial number it must have real significance.

Henk

1,532 is the majority vote at the election, so I believe the auction number is just a misprint.  Cannot be a coincidence that the majority exactly matches the number on the medal.

Pat

Pat