Author Topic: 20 and 25 as denominations  (Read 1264 times)

Offline Radealex

Re: 20 and 25 as denominations
« Reply #30 on: September 25, 2017, 01:28:02 AM »
Colombia issued 20 and 25 centavos coins at the same time in 1979!

20 Centavos 1971-1979, nickel clad steel KM#246

25 Centavos 1979, aluminium-bronze KM#267

both types are frequently!

Alex.

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
Re: 20 and 25by bro as denominations
« Reply #31 on: September 25, 2017, 12:20:22 PM »
Serbia and yugoslavia even changed at least tree times from 20 to 25 Para and back in its history!

Cool - great info, Alex! Oh, and as for the East-West German confusion, yes, I know this can be tough. Funny side note: When you type "DDR" in an American forum, many people will assume it means Doubled Die Reverse which refers to a faulty die, not to East Germany. So I always use GDR, even though some won't understand that ...

Tschüs,
Christian (im Rheinland)

Offline FosseWay

• Honorary Member
  • Göteborg, Sverige
Re: 20 and 25 as denominations
« Reply #32 on: September 25, 2017, 10:17:02 PM »
Despite being a native English speaker, I'm much more familiar with the abbreviations BRD and DDR than with FRG and GDR. This is probably because in English usage in all but the most official contexts, the standard forms for the two countries were "West Germany" and "East Germany". DDR nevertheless had/has a certain level of currency in English-language contexts, even where it can be expected that readers would not know what it stood for, while FRG is in my experience almost never encountered in the same circumstances.

These days in Sweden, the Federal Republic is sometimes officially referred to as "Förbundsrepubliken Tyskland" and Angela Merkel is routinely described as "Förbundskanslern". But I have never seen "Tyska demokratiska republiken" or "Demokratiska republiken Tyskland" or any abbreviation thereof. I don't even know whether either or neither of those is actually the correct form. In Swedish the DDR is always "Östtyskland" and the abbreviation always "DDR".