1977 Cook Island Five Dollars Reeded edge???

Started by zookeeperz, January 21, 2015, 08:48:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zookeeperz

Hi Folks I have a question . Does anyone have any info on this coin. It is a 1977 Cook Island Silver proof $5 . I looked it up  to see what it's make up should be and it says edge inscription Endangered Species. As you can see this does not have one its a normal reeded edge. Coin matches all specs and I did the silver  test to make sure it wasn't a moody coin.  Should it be like this or was an error made???

thanks Richard

Figleaf

Is it magnetic? There is a long series of pretty good Chinese counterfeits, all of this size, with this edge. They are older coins, so this one would be an outlier, but nothing is impossible.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

zookeeperz

Hi Peter thanks for replying so quick. It is definitely Silver. I have run the N35 Neodymium Magnet down it at an angle and it made its way to the bottom in a leisurely manner . I am sure you have seen these or probably even have 1. Magnetic is well no guesses what happens there  ;D. non magnetic metal like casts and cupro the magnet will fly down the coin around 50x faster than a coin which is silver. As silver has magnetic properties. It serves as a kind of handbrake-on effect when the magnet slides down the coin. So I really do believe it ticks all the boxes other than its got the wrong edge

Richard

eurocoin

I only know about pieces with the reeded edge, never seen the inscripted edge variant before.

zookeeperz

There is no reed edge variety for this coin. it's part of the enfangered spcies seies. All have edge inscription

Mister T

Where does it say it should have an inscribed edge? I thought the 1978 and 1981 coins both had inscribed edges but that was it.

zookeeperz

Hi Mr T. On the NGC website under the research tab heading World coin Price guide.

There 3 versions of the coin with same KM#17 Cat number with (U),(F),(P) variants. All same value but under the description DESIGN. This is what it says.
Obverse: Young bust right, date below

Reverse: Atiu swiftlet, denomination below

Reverse Designer: James Berry

Edge Lettering: Wildlife Conservation.

That is for all the 1977     versions of this coin. Unless it is a printing error.?

Mister T

Hm, I'm not sure. My own reading suggests that it is only the 1978 and 1981 coins that have edge inscriptions, and looking in my 1983 Standard Catalog of World Coins the 1978 $5 is described as Wildlife Conservation. It isn't specific about whether there is an edge inscription but the design is also of birds (in a nest though)