Linked Events

• Mumbai Coin Fair: April 24, 2009 - April 26, 2009

Author Topic: Mumbai Coin Fair  (Read 5761 times)

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
Mumbai Coin Fair
« on: March 21, 2009, 09:31:34 AM »
Hi all,
Mumbai Coin Fair,organized by Mumbai Coin Society,will be held on April 24,25 and 26 ,2009,at Tejpal Galleries,Gowalia Tank,Mumbai.

Aditya
« Last Edit: March 24, 2009, 01:07:55 PM by numismatica »
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
Re: Mumbai Coin Fair
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2009, 01:12:21 PM »
The exhibition will be held by Todywalla's auctions,and not by Mumbai Coin Society.Also,an auction of rare coins,banknotes,medals etc will be held on April 24 and 25.

Aditya
« Last Edit: March 24, 2009, 01:24:02 PM by numismatica »
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2009, 09:33:55 AM »
Aditya,
It seems that Mr Girish Veera has beaten Toddywala to host the Auction unless both of them are there. Toddywala's Auction site says that their next auction is at Mumbai in April. However here below is a mail I received from Mr Girish Veera.

Dear All

It's proud privilege for me  to Announce Oswal's 3rd Auction at Mumbai on 23rd April- 2009 at SRI SUNDERABAI HALL-Nathibai Thakersy Road,off Maharashi Karve Road, Behind Income Tax Office,Churchgate,Mumbai 400 020,Auction will be start at 6pm sharp, however our staff will be there from 3 pm for Registration of Participant , catalogue will be uploaded by 10th of Jan, hope to courier hard copies on the same date, this time we are offering 200 lots ,containing many Scares Rare Mughal gold & silver coins ,also many rarities of princely states, proof sets of Republic India as well group of British India unc notes of GV & GVI , also included very interesting Medals, overall something for everybody, we at oswal always believe in quality and that too at very reosonable priced, we always try our level best to satisfy clients .hope to see your continue patronage , also we always welcome your feed backs and suggestions to serve you  better.

We had very successful Auction At Chennai, many dignitaries including Chief Justice of Madras High court Honorable Sri Hemant Gokhale , Education Minister of State of Tamilnadu , Historians /scholars and collectors visited Exhibition , Media also gave nice coverage to event ,

Oswal Antiques thanks Office bearer of Madras Coin Society for giving such opportunity, we also thanks all who actively or other way participated in Auction

Thanks

Girish J. Veera

"It Is Better To Light A Candle Than To Curse The Darkness"

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2009, 10:07:54 AM »
Might be possible.The auction by Oswal antiques is at Churchgate,and that by Todywalla's is at Tejpal Galleries.This mumbai coin fair is organized by Todywalla's and not by mumbai coin society (That is the reason why it is at Gowalia tank-Mumbai coin society organizes at Churchgate).Oswal is not so famous for their auctions (It was there at Pune Coin fair too in January).Todywalla's auctions have a glamour,and they are having 2 separate auctions this time.The auction is generally dominated by British India coins and banknotes.The auction catalog is not out yet-let's see what he is having this time.

Aditya

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
Mumbai Coin Fair : Day 1
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2009, 01:28:48 PM »
Attended the fair today.Though it was a Friday,the hall was so crowded that it wasn't even possible to stand properly.Tomorrow,the conditions will be even worse.
Strictly speaking,the fair wasn't so good like the last one.There were about 40-45 stalls,3 of which were exclusively for Philatelic material,2-3 stalls for old antiques and remaining for coins.Most of them were having (as usual) British India coins and banknotes and they are too popular..Many people were spending too much of money for fancy number banknotes,which I guess,doesn't make any sense.
A few dealers were having some good world coins,but I was looking for some nice bimetallic coins.I was searching for Euro coins,but I could find only 2 coins-one Irish 1 Pound in very bad condition and a Belgian 2 Euro (where dealer had written Denmark 2 Euro in its description :D).As I already have these,I didn't buy them..However,I got some nice bimetallics of Ghana (old 100 Cedis),Jordan,Italian 500 Lire commemoratives,one Russian 10 Rouble commemorative,and a Syrian commemorative..
Another disappointment was that there is no stall for R.B.I. this time.They are not even giving the latest issues for face value.
I came across a dealer who offered me 250 different world banknotes+250 different world coins (some of which are extremely difficult to find in India) just for 3,00,000 Rupees ;D
There was another dealer who was having plenty of specimen 1 and 2 Euro coins.(what does that mean?)And he was offering them for 25 and 50 INR respectively!!

In short,it is a jackpot for British India collectors,otherwise,there is nothing so interesting this time..However,I will be again going there tomorrow ;)

Aditya

Offline a3v1

• Meritorious Member
Re: Mumbai Coin Fair : Day 1
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2009, 05:18:07 PM »
There was another dealer who was having plenty of specimen 1 and 2 Euro coins.(what does that mean?)And he was offering them for 25 and 50 INR respectively!!
@ Aditya,
Specimen euro coins is a term for medals produced by three or four companies and are intended to trick euro collectors into buying these euro lookalikes. But these medals are anything but official and are no coins at all.
Regards,
a3v1
Over half a century of experience as a coin collector.
-------------
Money is like body fat: If there's too much of it, it always is in the wrong places.

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2009, 05:35:34 PM »
@ Aditya,
Specimen euro coins is a term for medals produced by three or four companies and are intended to trick euro collectors into buying these euro lookalikes. But these medals are anything but official and are no coins at all.
Regards,
a3v1
Thanks for the information! But is it legal to issue such medals? I also saw some 10 Euro (bimetallic) specimen coins there.These are also similar medals I suppose..

Aditya

Offline a3v1

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2009, 10:52:59 PM »
Thanks for the information! But is it legal to issue such medals? I also saw some 10 Euro (bimetallic) specimen coins there.These are also similar medals I suppose..
@ Aditya,
It is absolutely illegal to produce medals that can be mistaken for real euro coins. The producers of these so-called "euro-patterns" indeed are balancing on the edge of illegality.
Regards,
a3v1

-------------
Money is like body fat: If there's too much of it, it always is in the wrong places.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2009, 10:35:08 PM »
There is a scary list of these medallic sets here. Their only purpose is to get money out of the pockets of the unwary and the naive. They were a real pest when the euro was just introduced and called patterns and test coins, all of which they are not. I don't see them offered much any more, but maybe that's because I am not paying attention.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2009, 07:18:57 AM »
It's strange to hear that an association like INA does these kinds of jobs ::) However,I saw lot many other fantasy medals there which aren't listed on the site you gave.May be,these are 'Made In China' ;D..

Offline a3v1

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2009, 09:03:56 AM »
Aditya,
A complete survey of all so-called "Euro-patterns" can be found on this site.
Regards,
a3v1
-------------

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2009, 10:28:42 AM »
I could find an article regarding this fair in Indian Express.Check it here.
@ a3v1,
Thanks for the link!

Aditya

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2009, 01:43:09 PM »
Sena forces Shivaji coin out of auction
26 Apr 2009, 0341 hrs IST, Bella Jaisinghani, TNN

MUMBAI: Auctioneers withdrew a rare gold coin minted to celebrate the coronation ceremony of Chhatrapati Shivaji from an auction on Saturday

after objections were raised in the Shiv Sena’s mouthpiece Saamna. The gold coin was expected to break all records in Indian numismatics by going for over Rs 4 lakh.

A few hundred gold coins (called hoans) were struck in Raigad to be showered on Shivaji at the time he ascended the throne and assumed the title of Chhatrapati. Only ten-odd pieces the size of ten paise coins are believed to exist today.

Decrying the “sale of a rare Shivaji artefact’’, the article claimed that the ASI was unaware of the historic treasure being sold. But every item that goes under the hammer is registered with the ASI as Todywalla’s is a licensed auctioneer of coins, banknotes, medals and tokens.

Even as bidders assembled at the auction hall in Gowalia Tank on Saturday night, the auctioneering firm announced that it had decided to pull out the prized item. Malcolm Todywalla, a second-generation entrepreneur of Todywalla’s Auctions, told TOI that he did not want to offend sensibilities by going through with the sale. It is reliably learnt that the police had advised the auctioneers to comply as the newspaper article even mentioned the site where the bid was being carried out.

Given the way that the two-day auction was progressing, bidders were expected to pay record sums for this item which was the crowning glory of this year’s sale. A Portuguese India banknote of Rs 50, which was printed only as a specimen in 1924, fetched a sum of Rs 4.40 lakh while a Rs 1,000 banknote bearing the portrait of King George V was sold for Rs 3.80 lakh. An 1878 Kashmiri note of a face value of Rs 10 went for Rs 3.30 lakh.

Source: Times of India
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.