Author Topic: Interesting grading of coin.  (Read 2578 times)

Offline Tariq

Interesting grading of coin.
« on: January 17, 2015, 06:25:21 PM »
Just came across this coin on ebay which is graded by PCG. Funny thing is attribution is incorrect and they have graded this as error coin (die rotation error)  8) .
« Last Edit: April 18, 2015, 04:15:23 PM by <k> »

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2015, 06:35:13 PM »
PCG in India I believe...Not surprised as they are quite unprofessional and lack expertise. They are quite popular in India and do good business in spite of this... :(

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Offline Overlord

• Honorary Member
  • Tamdiu discendum est, quamdiu vivas
    • Collect Old Coins
Re: Interesting grading of coin.
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2015, 04:43:16 AM »
I've never seen these plasticy things in hand. Is it possible to switch the coin inside and neatly re-seal the thing? I also didn't know that the grading system extended to hammered coins.

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2015, 07:34:23 AM »
I've never seen these plasticy things in hand. Is it possible to switch the coin inside and neatly re-seal the thing? I also didn't know that the grading system extended to hammered coins.

It's impossible to take the coin out of the slab without breaking it. Breaking the slab is not an easy task either ;); it is indeed very tightly packed!

Aditya

PS: I do not have a single slabbed coin in my collection. ;D
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Offline capnbirdseye

• Vic
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2015, 10:42:39 AM »
I see quite a lot of references to die rotation on hand struck coins but how can they not realise that every coin is likely to be different if the upper die is held in the hand.

Vic

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2015, 06:38:14 AM »
I see quite a lot of references to die rotation on hand struck coins but how can they not realise that every coin is likely to be different if the upper die is held in the hand.

I think grading of any hand struck coin is a futile exercise; wonder why people are so fond of it. In India, there's lot of hype being created about these slabbed coins and unfortunately, collectors are falling prey to it. These people are so crazy that they will even get their Roman coins (if they have it) graded just because it 'increases value' of the coins. ::)

Aditya

Offline Coinsforever

• Honorary Member
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2015, 05:06:44 PM »
Another attempt of marketing gimmicks.

Cheers ;D
Just came across this coin on ebay which is graded by PCG. Funny thing is attribution is incorrect and they have graded this as error coin (die rotation error)  8) .

Every experience, good or bad, is a priceless collector's item.

http://knowledge-numismatics.blogspot.in/

Offline Tariq

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2015, 05:33:19 PM »
On informing dealer immediately ended listing and said that he will strongly raise this issue with PCG.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2015, 07:49:33 PM »
Well done Tariq!

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline EWC

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2015, 09:08:47 AM »
My assesment of the grade is GF

That is for free. 

If you want someone to boost the grade to your advantage, I suppose you must expect to pay, and perhaps its obvious where to go