Author Topic: Vatican 2014: Fall of Berlin Wall/Iron Curtain  (Read 2742 times)

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
Vatican 2014: Fall of Berlin Wall/Iron Curtain
« on: October 26, 2013, 01:47:31 PM »
The Vatican apparently plans to issue a commemorative €2 coin dedicated to the the 25th anniversary of the fall of the Berlin Wall and of the "Iron Curtain". Rome Reports did an interview with Mauro Olivieri, director of the UFN, earlier this month. See the video here. And he does mention that theme ...

Christian

Online Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: Vatican 2014: Fall of Berlin Wall/Iron Curtain
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2013, 02:35:38 PM »
At last, a worthy subject. Other issuers will follow suit, I hope.

The subject is difficult, as it is an idea that is commemorated: the implosion of communism's attempts to restrain the human spirit, the joy of following your own thoughts and ways, as so powerfully expressed by Rostropovich, playing his beloved cello at the Berlin wall, enjoyed by people from all ages.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2013, 03:10:46 PM »
This is what the French used in 2009; they issued various collector coins for the 20th anniversary. Then again, the designer of a commemorative €2 coin can only use the pill - diameter about 18 mm.

As for "other countries", well, I know that Austria plans one. But the Austrian Mint only issues circulation coins and collector pieces. The only time they make €2 commems (except for a single one in 2005) is when a common issue "forces" them to issue one. ;)

Germany? Don't know; they usually commemorate the the 3 Oct 1990, on silver collector coins. Maybe others ...

Christian

Offline Ukrainii Pyat

• Collector of everything numismatic
  • Meritorious Member
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2013, 03:16:16 PM »
I think is more for Germany to commemorate event of re-unification of nation.  Vatican?  Are there things local they cannot commemorate?
Донецк Украина Donets'k Ukraine

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2013, 03:45:34 PM »
What happened in 1989 - whether in Germany, Poland, Hungary or elsewhere in Europe - affected more than just one country. So several countries will remind of that on coins. Yes, Germany may well commemorate the end of the GDR (1990) again, but that would be 2015. I am not sure whether there will be a German commemorative or collector coin for the 1989 events. In fact, I don't think so, unless the issue plan for 2014 gets modified.

(Edit) Hmm, in 1989 Pope John Paul II met Mikhail Gorbachev. Maybe the UFN can add their names or portraits. :)

Christian

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2014, 02:26:19 PM »
No, the piece will focus on the Berlin Wall. WMF photo (by rufuszufall from a German forum) of the design ...

Christian

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2015, 09:23:44 AM »
Got it couple of days back. Outrageously priced coin with a good theme I must say (when you buy it from dealer I mean) ;)

I hear that UFN has issued PNC version too (Mintage 12k?)...

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2015, 06:52:20 PM »
I paid €19 for mine - still quite expensive but I wanted to have that one. :)  And yes, the Vatican did issue a PNC (Busta Filatelico-numismatica) on that occasion, with an 85 ct stamp. I do not collect stamps, and thus don't really care about such issues, but I think the issue volume was 10,000 ...

Christian

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2015, 07:27:35 AM »
€19 is really cheap. I guess you got it directly from UFN...

It's available for €30-€35 if bought from dealer. ::)

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2015, 12:40:53 PM »
Yes, mine came from the UFN. Would not call €19 "cheap" for a €2 coin ;) but compared to what most dealers want, it is a good deal.

Christian