Author Topic: Parthian Empire: Phraates III (ca. 70-57 BCE) AR Drachm, Mithradatkart Mint  (Read 692 times)

Offline Quant.Geek

• Honorary Member
Parthian Empire: Phraates III (ca. 70-57 BCE) AR Drachm, Mithradatkart Mint (Sellwood-39.6; Sunrise-343)

Obv: Long bearded bust left in diadem bound tiara, decorated with a horn on side and a row of recumbent stags around the crest, pellet ended spiral torque, dotted border.
Rev: Archer enthroned right, monogram below bow, six-line Greek inscription ΒΑΣΙΛΕΩΣ ΜΕΓΑΛΟY ΑΡΣΑΚΟY ΕYΕΡΓΕΤΟY ΕΠIΦΑNOYΣ ΦΙΛΕΛΛΗΝΟΣ

Former collection of the MoneyMuseum, Zurich

A high-resolution image of this coin is available at FORVM Ancient Coins

« Last Edit: January 15, 2015, 07:47:14 PM by Quant.Geek »
A gallery of my coins can been seen at FORVM Ancient Coins

Offline THCoins

• Honorary Member
It really shines this one ! One thing i dont't hope is that this means the moneyMuseum of Zurich has been forced to cutdown because of financial problems ?
Regarding the photo's: The contrasts are a bit harsh in my eyes, did it look like this or did you apply some sharpening in processing ?

Offline Quant.Geek

• Honorary Member
It really shines this one ! One thing i dont't hope is that this means the moneyMuseum of Zurich has been forced to cutdown because of financial problems ?
Regarding the photo's: The contrasts are a bit harsh in my eyes, did it look like this or did you apply some sharpening in processing ?

I don't know, but there has been several collections from the Money Museum on the auction block.  I, myself, picked up several coins and lost a few.  I don't think it goes well for the Money Museum  :-\

The images are directly from the auction house, albeit with the background replaced with my standard gray.  Picked this up for far less than what the Money Museum paid for several years ago  ;D :o
A gallery of my coins can been seen at FORVM Ancient Coins