login

Author Topic: Charlemagne's weight standards  (Read 1007 times)

Offline EWC

• Meritorious Member
Charlemagne's weight standards
« on: January 12, 2015, 09:00:49 AM »
The BN I believe has a set of weight called the ‘Pile de Charlemagne’.  Munro (at Toronto) claimed this set of weights is possibly 15th century, thus much later than Charlemagne.  Grierson (at Cambridge) suggested it does not represent the pound used by Charlemagne at all (that its pound is actually 9/8 of Charlemagne’s commodity pound). 

But I cannot find out what authorities in France think about this matter.  I have Hocqet’s collected papers, but he does not seem to mention it.  Witthoft in Germany has written on Charlemagne’s weights, but only in German (which I also cannot read) and he seemed to make the topic extraordinarily complicated, and very different from Grierson. 

Can anyone assist? 

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: Charlemagne's weight standards
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2015, 10:54:57 AM »
I can help with reading German...

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline EWC

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2015, 11:35:27 AM »
I can help with reading German...

Peter

That is very kind! 

I suspect it will not be easy to figure out though - I need to get to Witthoft's evidence sources, and these are likely to be somewhat diverse and obscure - early metrology evidence usually is.

However, its nice to get any interest in these matters - I will try to find the relevant bits of the relevant papers in due course to and try to take this forward.

I was hoping that there might be someone on the group who already studied Witthoft - but it is no surprise to find not.  Historical metrology has become very unfashionable these days.......

Offline EWC

• Meritorious Member
Re: Charlemagnes weight stan
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2017, 08:43:57 AM »
That wouldnt mean the amount of weight you could stack on it by chance, would it?

No

It wouldnt make any sense for a 55 gal. water barrel to only hold 200 lbs. inside weight.

Afraid I cannot make sense of why you mention this

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2017, 08:50:02 AM »
It appears that it's a bot. He(?) posted something similar yesterday and I gave a benefit of doubt to him by not deleting his post but making it invisible. I have now banned (and deleted) his profile.

Aditya
Caution. The low-hanging fruits are still there maybe for a reason.

Offline EWC

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2017, 09:13:50 AM »
It appears that it's a bot. He(?) posted something similar yesterday and I gave a benefit of doubt to him by not deleting his post but making it invisible. I have now banned (and deleted) his profile.

Thanks.  Pretty dumb for a human, but rather clever for a bot!  I was carefull to steer clear of the footer link tho.

While you are here - I am still interested in my question (in a different thread) about bank charges for the supply of change to business customers.  Is the Indian gvt really trying to make the banks do it for free?

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2017, 09:17:06 AM »
While you are here - I am still interested in my question (in a different thread) about bank charges for the supply of change to business customers.  Is the Indian gvt really trying to make the banks do it for free?

I'll get back to you regarding this later today (since I'm in office right now). :) Perhaps what you have in mind is different from what is being debated in the court. However, some recent decisions by some of the private banks (after demonetization) are in line with what you are asking, so we are going to have another nice discussion on this! ;)

Aditya
Caution. The low-hanging fruits are still there maybe for a reason.

Offline EWC

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2017, 09:25:41 AM »
so we are going to have another nice discussion on this! ;)

I look forward to it    :)