Linked Events

• Coinex 2017 - Ahmedabad: February 10, 2017 - February 12, 2017
  • Coin Fair "Coinex" - Ahmedabad by Gujarat Coin Soc: February 09, 2018 - February 11, 2018

Author Topic: Coin Fair "Coinex" - Ahmedabad  (Read 6284 times)

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
Re: Coin Fair "Coinex" - Ahmedabad
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2017, 07:06:12 AM »
Good to note that people were interested in the exhibits. .........
PS: hopefully newspaper take a cue from this post and start writing such stuff instead of sensation news about price.

Dheer, It was the sensational news in the press that may have actually got people interested. I had put my card with a phone number hoping that some one truly interested in the topic would call asking for more info. Unfortunately, all the calls that I got (and there were many) were people trying to sell their Maratha coins.....

..........I thought Mr Haroon was a dealer, didn't realise he is also expert in Junagad coins.

Haroon was a teacher by profession and has left that work and taken to numismatics in a big way. He has made numismatics his lively hood. However, he is a good learner and spends a lot of time researching coins. He visits many old libraries and has shared many interesting informations that he has picked up.

One of them: Ra Mandlik - the Hindu ruler of Junagadh is buried in a grave in Ahmedabad. (Hindus are cremated and never buried). He went to the location and tried to get the information from the shop owners......... All they knew was it was a grave of 'one' Ra Mandlik. (BTW, Ra is short for Rao). The fact is that when Mandlik, the ruler of Junagadh was defeated by Mehmud Shah 'Begada' of Gujarat, he was  offered death or conversion to the Muslim faith. He chose the later and was sent to Ahmedabad where he lived till death and was buried in the area where he stayed. Hence the grave. He went to the old libraries, dug out the information on Ra Mandlik and then he went to the place got more information.... This is his dedication to this hobby.

Amit
"It Is Better To Light A Candle Than To Curse The Darkness"

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2017, 07:28:20 AM »
Haroon making his presentation:

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2017, 07:29:22 AM »
A view of my exhibits.
1) The coins of Lunavada.

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2017, 07:31:54 AM »
2) The Post Mughal Coinage of Ahmedabad in 3 frames.

Offline dheer

• Honorary Member
  • Indian Coins & Currencies
    • Coins of Republic India
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2017, 08:30:07 AM »
Thanks Amit for the displays. They are fantastic, more often the displays are JUST full of coins generally I just glance and ignore .... In this case it shows the amount of efforts put into the displays. The narrative and imaging are well done. hat-off to such fantastic efforts.
http://coinsofrepublicindia.blogspot.in
A guide on Republic India Coins & Currencies

Offline dheer

• Honorary Member
  • Indian Coins & Currencies
    • Coins of Republic India
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2017, 08:35:30 AM »
Dheer, It was the sensational news in the press that may have actually got people interested. I had put my card with a phone number hoping that some one truly interested in the topic would call asking for more info. Unfortunately, all the calls that I got (and there were many) were people trying to sell their Maratha coins.....

Haroon was a teacher by profession and has left that work and taken to numismatics in a big way. He has made numismatics his lively hood. However, he is a good learner and spends a lot of time researching coins. He visits many old libraries and has shared many interesting informations that he has picked up.

One of them: Ra Mandlik - the Hindu ruler of Junagadh is buried in a grave in Ahmedabad. (Hindus are cremated and never buried). He went to the location and tried to get the information from the shop owners......... All they knew was it was a grave of 'one' Ra Mandlik. (BTW, Ra is short for Rao). The fact is that when Mandlik, the ruler of Junagadh was defeated by Mehmud Shah 'Begada' of Gujarat, he was  offered death or conversion to the Muslim faith. He chose the later and was sent to Ahmedabad where he lived till death and was buried in the area where he stayed. Hence the grave. He went to the old libraries, dug out the information on Ra Mandlik and then he went to the place got more information.... This is his dedication to this hobby.

Amit

In generally 99% of the people think the coin they have is extremely valuable and call up experts to see if they have hit a get rich lucky lottery ... where as in reality they have a pretty common coin. I applaud your courage to give your phone number in public  ;D

Thanks for the note on Mr Haroon, there was a time in 2011-2012, when I purchased tons of coins / notes from him. Prices were very reasonable. Spoke to him a few times, a gentleman. At the peak, I guess he was only limited by his ability to list coins and ship them ...

There are very few coin dealers who are experts in some fields. Looks like Mr Haroon is one of them.
http://coinsofrepublicindia.blogspot.in
A guide on Republic India Coins & Currencies

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2017, 08:42:14 AM »
Here is the display in details.. I am not sure as the display covers three different sections - IPS, Mughal & BI.

Amit

Offline Md. Shariful Islam

• Honorary Member
  • Tonk>Tanka>Taka
    • Coins of Medieval Bengal
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2017, 11:12:01 AM »
Great! Congrats Amit Mehta bhai...

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2017, 03:17:27 PM »
The next edition of the fair is scheduled for 9,10, 11 Feb. 2018.

Amit

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2018, 03:52:37 AM »
This edition is looking to be better. Three Auctions planned.

I will be exhibiting 3 frames on the Coins of Ahmedabad Mint from the time of Akbar till the time the mint was closed. The fourth frame is on the mints located in the state of Gujarat - and I counted 36 mints already recorded (from the time of the Gujarat Sultans - till India became independent and the last mints were closed.)

Any one visiting? Please PM

Amit

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2018, 08:59:07 AM »
Congratulations on exhibiting your knowledge and collection in such a good place, Amit. Let's hope you inspire others. Just make sure the coins are safe there and at home.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2018, 02:19:50 AM »
Congratulations on exhibiting your knowledge and collection in such a good place, Amit. Let's hope you inspire others. Just make sure the coins are safe there and at home.
Peter, Thank you very much for your encouragement.

Your concerns are not misplaced and I remove the coins every evening and place them back in the mornings. Some of these are quite priceless - not in monetary terms but the difficulty in acquiring them.

Amit

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
Coin Fair "Coinex" - Ahmedabad
« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2018, 03:32:47 PM »
Congratulations Amit! Glad to see WoC member getting well deserved fame. :)

I have been asked couple of times (by fellow collectors) to display my collection of silvers/bimetallics in Mumbai exhibitions, but I'm somehow not inclined to do so, security being the most important aspect. May be in future...

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2018, 06:51:48 PM »
You get security during the exhibition by making a clear and specific signed agreement that the organisers are responsible for your coins during the exhibition. The knowledge you will have to pay for what goes wrong concentrates the mind wonderfully.

You get security at home either by anonymity or by stashing your coins someplace else, e.g. at a bank. Not handy, but you pay one way or the other to reduce risk.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2018, 07:20:23 AM »
Congratulations Amit! Glad to see WoC member getting well deserved fame. :)
Thanks a ton Aditya. Yes, a number of newbies on WoC have developed into senior collectors (as different from hoarders) and budding researchers.............. This is because of the fantastic environment WoC offers.

I have been asked couple of times (by fellow collectors) to display my collection of silvers/bimetallics in Mumbai exhibitions, but I'm somehow not inclined to do so, security being the most important aspect. May be in future...
I had been contemplating since long to exhibit my collection (based on request from friends from the coin society. I too was hesitant at first but, seeing the sad state of affairs at the various exhibitions at Ahmedabad, I decided to exhibit a few frames last time and as a precaution, I put in some not too difficult to replace coins. The effort paid off and this year there was a better response (though one or two collectors backed off at the last moment). However, most exhibitors displayed only BI / RI and World coins and Notes. In fact, I put in a display of books in 2 frames to fill in the gaps caused by the absent exhibitors.

You get security during the exhibition by making a clear and specific signed agreement that the organisers are responsible for your coins during the exhibition. The knowledge you will have to pay for what goes wrong concentrates the mind wonderfully.

You get security at home either by anonymity or by stashing your coins someplace else, e.g. at a bank. Not handy, but you pay one way or the other to reduce risk.
Peter, unfortunately out here that is not the case. Here, it is almost like you exhibit because you want to. Round the clock security is provided including a gun trotting guy (with a gun fit for one of the display cases). There are no contacts and no one is responsible for any loss ..... though I have not heard of any losses in the past few years that I have been active.

However, this is the main reason that outstation collectors do not like to exhibit and collectors like me go around removing the coins for the night and putting them back in the morning. Of course there were some exhibitors who took the chance to leave the exhibits overnight and had no issues.

Regarding security of the collection at home, it is a matter of perception. Some people keep it locked up in a safe at home out of sight of prying eyes while some prefer to keep the real high value coins in the bank lockers (which incurs a small cost in India (locker rents by Public sector banks in India are fairly low) but requires a visit to the lockers in banks locker working hours (which in most banks are lower than the bank working hours).

Amit