Author Topic: Unidentified Cash coin #1  (Read 1525 times)

Offline SpaBreda

Unidentified Cash coin #1
« on: January 11, 2015, 08:59:50 PM »
 A cash coin I've had for some time now, showed it to a few fellow collectors, but still no idea what it is ...

It measures 24 mm and weighs 3.1 gr.

It has a somewhat golden colour ...

Thanks for looking into this one !

Paul.

Offline Manzikert

• Honorary Member
Re: Unidentified Cash coin #1
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2015, 10:27:18 PM »
I'm pretty certain this is a fantasy: the reverse looks like a Qing dynasty coin but the obverse is definitely not Qing.

Alan

Offline bgriff99

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2015, 06:12:25 AM »
The inscription is a hybrid of 'Tao Kuang tung pao' and 'Hsiang Fu yuan pao', here mostly the latter.    This is a low melt Indonesian temple token/ funerary cash.   They were purpose made, usually of lead, but also mixtures with zinc and tin, or leaded bronze.   Some were painted gold or yellow, which is what this piece looks like.

I can only find fragmentary information about them, and have to piece it together.   They aren't very old, maybe 1850-1950.   Could be even newer.   They imitate cash in circulation in the late 19th and early 20th century, mostly Ching from Kang-hsi forward.   This Hsiang-fu hybrid is pretty common.

They merge into shima-sen at the fringe, but Japanese collectors spurn them.   They are associated with old buried fire pits, especially on beaches.   The implication being they were used instead of regular cash because they would be destroyed in a fire.   Wartime zinc coins (for their pyrotechnic effects) and other shima sen are also found in these charcoal pits.

This piece is unusually worn, and pretty clearly shows remains of a yellow and filed-metal coating.   None of mine have that.

Nowadays there are still roadside shrines equipped with coin operated machines which stamp out very crude approximations of Chien-lung cash, from sheet steel, to donate.

Offline bgriff99

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2015, 07:06:46 AM »
Here is a Qian Long version.   What looks like residual yellow paint is from the scanner exaggerating some lead/ zinc oxides.

Offline bgriff99

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2015, 07:36:27 AM »
Another variation on the theme.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2015, 11:14:07 AM »
My (second hand) info is that they would be strung, as ancient cash and hung over graves like that. Since successive Indonesian governments became openly anti-Chinese, Chinese cemeteries were robbed and destroyed and the practice disappeared. It seems to me that the end date of 1950 fits well. Discrimination of Chinese in Indonesia is still quite strong.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline SpaBreda

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2015, 01:27:22 PM »
Thanks Alan, Bruce and Peter !

Another mystery solved.
So this one can be filed in the tokens department   ;)

Paul.