Author Topic: Toy cash register  (Read 731 times)

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
  • "illegitimi non carborundum"
    • Mals Machine Tokens
Toy cash register
« on: September 15, 2014, 12:21:57 PM »
Toy cash register and associated toy coins. All are in steel, I have only the 1d 20.7mm; 1/- 16mm; 2/- 19.1mm.

I have not actively pursued these, just acquiring them in job lots occasionally, a d, 3d and 6d are also known. [no 2/6 as this denomination was not issued in Australia]

These are believed to have been issued for the Australian Boomaroo toy cash register but could have been used in Britain too as I see David Rogers lists them in his Toy Coins. Perhaps also used with the British Codeg toy cash register, see my image of this below.

Boomaroo toys were made by the Artlay Manufacturing Company registered at Butt and Clisdell streets, Surrey Hills, SYDNEY AUSTRALIA.

From the Boomaroo site:
Around 1964 Boomaroo introduced a Cash register in various colours. It has a positive automatic operation - after pressing any key, a bell rings - price registers - and the drawer opens. The register was supplied with Notes, Matel money and a locking key. A second generation Cash register was a decimal conversion model.

Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
    • Mals Machine Tokens
Re: Toy cash register
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2019, 04:20:52 AM »
I have now acquired a purse with contents intact. Six 1d; eight 3d; six 6d; six 1/-; six 2/-  and two notes, one pound and 10/-

The penny is often mistaken for the NZ Featherstone internment camp tokens but those are blank on the reverse unlike these with ONE PENNY incuse on the reverse.
Malcolm

Online Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2019, 06:30:52 AM »
And the cash register is on the sd system. Slightly more difficult to engineer in a cash register, maybe even more so at small size. My grandchildren use the plastic cash register my son used. It's indestructible. It came with big, thick coins with a very high rim. Easy to grasp for tiny hands.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
    • Mals Machine Tokens
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2019, 07:36:58 AM »
These coins are tiny, with the 6d at 13mm and the 3d at only 10.5mm, and would be banned in this present climate of OH&S.
Malcolm