A pair of Thai tourist fakes

Started by davidrj, January 06, 2015, 03:19:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davidrj

I think these were made to deceive tourists rather than collectors, so not sure whether to post here or in "tokens not used for payment"

30mm, 10.82g, and 32.5mm, 13.45g. From the cut marks on the edges, I suspect these were made in sheets and subsequently stamped out

the smaller is a crude copy of a 19thC 2att like this one

the second appears to be some sort of medal, anyone here read Thai?

David

Figleaf

The first two are obvious, but the third is dangerous. They are good warnings, so I think they are in the right place. We have several Thai members. A PM might help.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

bart

Quote from: Figleaf on January 06, 2015, 06:15:50 PM
The first two are obvious, but the third is dangerous. They are good warnings, so I think they are in the right place. We have several Thai members. A PM might help.

Peter

The third is genuine, to compare with the smaller fake.

adam

Hmm. I honestly admit that I'm not trained eyes for the old coins. If, again if, they all are genuine.

In first picture, right side coin said 'Krung Siam' and 'King Mongkut, Rama IV' which I think it's weird since most coins in his reign used his privy seal and elephant, not his effigy. So it could be a medal.

Left coin said 'One Pi' (1/32 baht) '1248' (Chula Sakarat = 2429 BE = 1886 AD) with 'Siam Deva Dhiraj' and 'Chulalongkorn King of Siam' with his effigy. This is one of a few coin that used chula sakarat instead of Ratanakosin sakarat (105 RE) dated on this set. But use of word 'one pi' that I'm not sure about it.

In second picture is like above. Instead of 'One Pi' it is 'One Seo'. 1 pi = 1 seo = 2 att. Coin dated 109 RE (= 2431 BE = 1889 AD). About that size and weight, this is closest to genuine coin than others.
Thai bimetallic coins and nickel alloy 10, 20, 50 & 100 baht coins
Last update: Dec 2015 updated only nickel coin info.