News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

UK: New £100 for £100 Collector Coin

Started by Bimat, December 29, 2014, 06:31:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bimat

You won't want to lose this - it's the new £100 coin brought in to ring in the New Year

Dec 28, 2014 19:04

The Royal Mint has revealed a new £100 coin to ring in the New Year.

It is the UK's first ever £100 commemorative coin.

Just 50,000 of the new 'Big Ben' £100 coins will be made available at the face value price.

The design bears an image of London's Elizabeth Tower, which houses the great bell above the Houses of Parliament - an iconic British landmark synonymous with the countdown to the New Year.

The £100 face value coin contains two ounces of silver, and is expected to prove popular with the public following the sell-out success of the coin struck in honour of the birth of Prince George of Cambridge.

Some 7,5000 sterling silver coins were made to honour the young prince's first birthday on July 22.

Earlier this year it was revealed the rare Kew Gardens 50p coin could be worth £120.

The coin was commissioned to to mark the 250th anniversary of the Royal Botanic Gardens and is the rarest British coin still in circualtion.

Source: The Mirror
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Bimat

It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Bimat

While I quite like the reverse, I think this is a dangerous pattern to issue high denominated coins for face value. In France, we already have €100 (Silver), €250, €500, €1000 and €5000 (all gold) issued for face value. The intrinsic value is obviously much less than the face value, so the mints are already making a good profit. However, since a common collector can not afford such high priced 'coins' anyway, these items remain exclusive for a small group of people who can afford them (not necessarily collectors)...

Aditya

augsburger

It's what it is, a money making scheme, I'm not going to worry about it at all. 100 for 100, but how much is the silver worth? Probably not much.

I think this points to the new 1 pound coin not being anything that is going to be related to such coins too.

Bimat

The silver in the £100 coin (2 oz) would be hardly worth £21 at current rate. ::)

Aditya

bagerap

It's obvious.
The Royal Mint has joined forces with the London Mint and the Westminster Collection to provide a one-stop-shop for all your overpriced, specious  c**p requirements.

Figleaf

I rather like the design. There's Big Ben, touching tip of hats with a gnome, there's the continent being isolated with Britain upside down and there's even the eternal drizzle. Christmas weather, really. Bring on the pudding and the crackers! >:D

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

augsburger

Great business really, sell 20 quid's worth of silver for 100 and make people think they're getting 100 quid

Bimat

While it's right that this coin is an absolute rip-off for £100, we must appreciate hard work being done by marketing person at the Royal Mint. ;D Almost every British news agency (BBC included) has published long reports on the new £100 coin! ::)

Aditya

Candy

Quote from: Bimat on December 29, 2014, 11:06:07 AM
The silver in the £100 coin (2 oz) would be hardly worth £21 at current rate. ::)

Aditya

LOL  , and with silver prices behaving like  emotionally troubled teens who knows how low they might go afterwards  >:D

Candy

Quote from: augsburger on December 29, 2014, 02:46:55 PM
Great business really, sell 20 quid's worth of silver for 100 and make people think they're getting 100 quid

it is indeed great business and with the low mintage people are falling over themselves to order them   :o

Bimat

Royal Mint says over 90% Big Ben £100 coins have already been sold. Hmmm... ::)

Aditya

augsburger

I have some pieces of paper I've written "100 quid" on and I'm willing to sell them for 95 pounds, and postage and packaging is ONLY 10 quid. Who's in?

Bimat

Quote from: augsburger on January 07, 2015, 01:45:38 PM
I have some pieces of paper I've written "100 quid" on and I'm willing to sell them for 95 pounds, and postage and packaging is ONLY 10 quid. Who's in?

Post that on eBay (add something like LQQK, RRRRR, RAR etc etc) and you will be rich soon. >:D

Aditya

augsburger

I expect you will be bidding on that one then, hey?  >:D ;D