Author Topic: Spain 2015: Altamira Cave (World Cultural Heritage series)  (Read 884 times)

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW DE EU
Spain 2015: Altamira Cave (World Cultural Heritage series)
« on: December 21, 2014, 02:46:19 PM »
In early February 2015, Spain will issue a commemorative 2 coin dedicated to the Altamira cave, Cantabria. The piece depicts one of the paintings, a bison. Mintage will be 8 million.

Christian

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: Spain 2015: Altamira Cave (World Cultural Heritage series)
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2014, 05:13:25 PM »
While the design is OK, it is a somewhat predictable. I would have been pleasantly surprised if a place had been found to honour the cave's prominent victim: Sautuola.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW DE EU
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2014, 05:41:33 PM »
The series is about World Cultural Heritage sites in Spain. Makes much sense to me if the designers focus on that. Maybe, on a country specific silver piece, you could also add Sautuola, and Cartailhac's belated apology - but especially on such small coins (pills only) a design should not be too cluttered.

Besides, when Germany issued its Nebra Sky Disk coin, the story "around" it was not added either, even though it is interesting (looting by detectorists, and then critical voices who claimed for quite a while that the disk had to be fake). But the coin was about the disk, just as this one is about the cave and the paintings. :)

Christian

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW DE EU
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2015, 08:26:07 PM »
Mine is here. :)  The Altamira coin is part of the mint set that I bought at the WMF. Since I wanted the "new effigy" 1 and 2 coins anyway ...  Those who can wait for the raw coins should be able to get them early next week.

Christian