Author Topic: Italy 2015: Expo Milano, Dante Alighieri  (Read 3054 times)

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW DE EU
Italy 2015: Expo Milano, Dante Alighieri
« on: December 20, 2014, 12:34:06 AM »
The Italian 2 commems to be issued in 2015 will be dedicated to

- Expo Milano (Universal Expo 2015) and
- Dante Alighieri (born 750 years ago)

Source: WMF catalog. More "later" ... :)

Christian

Offline andyg

• Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • DERBYS UK
Re: Italy 2015: Expo Milano, Dante Alighieri
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2014, 12:51:19 AM »
Are we therefore expecting three commemoratives for places like Italy and France - two national ones plus a common one?

It's going to be expensive  :-X
always willing to trade modern UK coins for modern coins from elsewhere....

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW DE EU
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2014, 01:01:00 AM »
The common one has not been officially OK'd yet, but yes, several countries (Germany too) will use the option to issue two commemorative 2 coins this year. These two Italian ones I am actually interested in. :)

Christian

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2014, 08:04:11 AM »
Are we therefore expecting three commemoratives for places like Italy and France - two national ones plus a common one?

It's going to be expensive  :-X

Agreed...With the increasing number of euro coins (2 and collector coins), my collection is slowly being marginalized to euro coins only. Not all of them are really expensive, but the sheer number of them makes it expensive anyway. ::)

I'm thinking of some other collecting strategy for 2015...

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW DE EU
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2014, 11:36:07 AM »
I'm thinking of some other collecting strategy for 2015...

Cannot really give any advice here, but I focus on circulation coins and commemorative 2 coins. Stopped collecting, by and large, those "regional" collector coins. (Those pieces that are legal tender in the issuing member state only, and do not circulate anyway.) But I know that some fellow collectors find the 2 commems quite boring - the only part where they are different is the pill of the obverse - and buy collector coins instead.

Christian

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2015, 10:20:15 AM »
Here's the image. Source: eurohobby.

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW DE EU
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2015, 08:19:52 AM »
Not terribly happy with that design. While I like the Expo logo, I wonder how this will look on a "monochrome" surface. Also, the Expo 2015 motto is Feeding the Planet - Energy for Life, so why would only the first half appear on the coin?

Christian

Offline Pabitra

• Honorary Member
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2015, 08:40:35 PM »
This appears to be draft design

Offline Illioplius

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2015, 03:38:18 PM »
I find these two new coins quite pretty after a few years of rather boring designs from Italy. Perhaps Italy and San Marino changed their approach or maybe somebody who decides about this countries' designs changed?

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2015, 02:11:25 PM »
Kuwait participates in Italy's coin minting festival

04/04/2015   |   08:54 AM   |   Kuwait News

By Mehdi Al-Nimr

ROME, April 4 (KUNA) -- Kuwait, represented by the Ambassador Sheikh Ali Khaled Al-Jaber Al-Sabah, has participated in the commemorative coin celebration, held as part of preparatory activities for the forthcoming major event, the Expo Milano 2015 due on May 1st.

The celebration got underway, late on Friday, when Rome Deputy Mayor Marta Leonori unveiled the prototype memorial coin at Camp Dollio piazza, followed with statements by attending dignitaries. A police band entertained the attendees with some of the most famous music, then students from various nations hoisted flags of 140 States participating in the Expo Milano event -- including the Kuwaiti Flag.

Coin minting dating back to the Roman times was re-played on a silver piece, and later children tossed coins into the plaza fountain making wishes.

The Kuwaiti Ambassador, Sheikh Ali Khaled, in a statement to KUNA, affirmed keenness on participating in such activities and events, preceding the Expo Milano event.

Italian quarters have shown particular interest and appreciation for the tangible Kuwaiti participation in these preliminary activities, thus manifesting the close friendship ties between the two countries.

Ambassador Sheikh Ali Khaled expressed hope the Kuwaiti pavilion at the upcoming international fair would prove effective with respect of reflecting Kuwait's message as a contributor to human civilization. He also voiced satisfaction at mounting mutual cooperation between Kuwait and Italy since establishing diplomatic relations, half a century ago. The mutual cooperation has particularly increased with the historic visit, paid by His Highness the Amir to Italy in 2010.

Meanwhile, Sandro Sassoli, in charge of "time museum," which manages memorial coins' minting for the Expo event, hailed the Kuwaiti ambassador's presence at the festival which depicted "the first minting in human history at the same site 269 BC."

Source: Kuna

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2015, 03:50:27 PM »
A friend of mine sent me proof version of 'Expo Milano' coin...I'm missing the unc coin though! ::)

Aditya