Author Topic: Sear: Roman Coins  (Read 615 times)

Online Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Sear: Roman Coins
« on: December 01, 2014, 01:41:38 PM »
Part V of the series (337-491 AD) will shortly be available - coincidentally, just before the big Christmas Shopping. This volume will conclude the opus major of David Sear on Roman coins. I hope a collector of Roman coins can give us a short description of the books and how they match up against earlier works.

I came across part V on the CGB site.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Prosit

• Honorary Member
    • Austrian Coins, Tokens and Medals
Re: Sear: Roman Coins
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2014, 02:26:44 PM »
It is supposed to be available here before the end of the year. I can pre-order it for $82.50 which includes postage and fees.

I think (not at home at the moment) I have 2 out of the 5. Since i don't actively collect in this area I am not sure I need more but the ones I have
are great books.

Dale

Offline Overlord

• Honorary Member
  • Tamdiu discendum est, quamdiu vivas
    • Collect Old Coins
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2014, 03:42:01 PM »
I'd like a review too. Volume 4 could be useful to me.

Thankfully, this is one area where I find resources on the Internet to be especially robust. Certainly more than adequate for the odd coin I pick up.

Offline Overlord

• Honorary Member
  • Tamdiu discendum est, quamdiu vivas
    • Collect Old Coins
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2017, 09:13:33 AM »
I recently acquired Volume 1, completing my set. So far, I am pretty disappointed. There seem to be many types left out, for which I need to search online. In my personal opinion, they are not too easy to use and provide little value vis-a-vis the high cost (the complete set cost me INR 21,791), considering that online references such as Wildwinds are completely free.

I also acquired the (much, much cheaper) single-volume tome ERIC II (The Encyclopedia of Roman Imperial Coins) by Rasil Suariz, which I am finding quite useful. It also covers Byzantine coinage!
« Last Edit: May 07, 2017, 09:25:59 AM by Overlord »