Vintage locomotive

Started by malj1, November 30, 2014, 06:41:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

malj1

View of an early locomotive, rev 1 brass, 16.4mm

Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

Figleaf

Looked at a numbing amount of pictures of old French locomotives without success. The narrow chimney and open cabin suggest the first half of the 19th century (around 1830?), the token would rather be second half of the 19th century (around 1870?). A forerunner of the saccharine Christmas issues on behalf of the Isle of Man? :)

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

malj1

The biggest clue is the wheel arrangement of 2-2-2 dating from the 1850-60's.

See the images on this page.
Malcolm

FosseWay

The locomotive is not entirely dissimilar from this one, on a 5 öre token from the Saltsjöbanan in Stockholm. The company that issued these was founded in 1892.

However, I'm pretty certain your token isn't Swedish. The numeral side doesn't feel right.

malj1

That would suggest the token could be issued many years after the date of the locomotive which of course would only be about 20 or 30 years old so not as antiquated as it appears to us viewing it today.

The open platform with possibly a dead man's handle suggests to me more exotic climes; perhaps South America or the West Indies?
Malcolm

Figleaf

The 2-2-2 configuration spans a longer and earlier period, but only the first types did not have a cabin for the crew. This locomotive looks like midway between the British built German Adler (1835) and the British Jenny Lind (1847) types. It may be a French knock-off.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

malj1

Large Bloomer no. 249 at Wolverton in 1861  Source

This one is close!
Malcolm

Figleaf

That's a Jenny Lind type. Pic was taken in 1861.

Peter

malj1

A somewhat similar locomotive on this jeton in Simmons latest auction MB71. closing 10th Feb.

Belgium, commemorative jeton, INAUGURATION DU CHEMIN DE FER DE VERVIERS A AIX LA CHAPELLE 15 OCT 1843 engine l. rev. arms of Aachen and Belgium in wreath By Hart brass 27.3mm.

Malcolm

malj1

Recently acquired the next value, a "2" in thin brass, 19mm.

The thin-ness of the piece was not quite so obvious with the earlier and smaller 16.2mm piece but they are indeed both very similar and share a great similarity with the German Spielmarke.

See an image from Rogers below; although this is a similar train it is not the same.

Perhaps they were used for scoring when playing Chemin-de-fer? ...the original version of the card game baccarat when it was introduced to France.
Malcolm

redwine

21mm
2.18g
Brass
Medal aligned
Elie (1st) IS-SUR-TILLE 1.1
Always willing to trade.  See my profile for areas of interest.

malj1

Quote from: redwine on February 18, 2015, 02:30:52 PM
21mm
2.18g
Brass
Medal aligned
Elie (1st) IS-SUR-TILLE 1.1

I missed this one! Oh well.  ;D  ...the day I went to hospital.

Acquired today The Tokens of Natal by Pat Moran.

This shows a drawing of Durban's first train, Natal; this has similarities in the controls at the rear of the Locomotive.

No tokens known at this time.
Malcolm

Afrasi

Congrats to your new book. I love it.

malj1

Much of it devoured already, been seeking it for a while. Much better than expected too.

I find its part 1 - Durban tokens, so there is a part 2  ???

I hope no more parts!  ::)
Malcolm

Afrasi

I don't know of a second part. I even cannot find my Moran actually  :-[, but once I did read it with interest. There are not many books about African coins and very few about African tokens. It took me years to know about them and more years to get them. For many countries my private data base is the best source.