WW I Victory medal awarded to Labour Corps (Medal # 170 MYB)

Started by bagerap, November 27, 2014, 11:49:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bagerap

This is sadly not mine, but it's interesting.
A WW i Victory medal awarded to W.O.2 J LAMBERT. LABOUR CORPS.
It's a dug piece that was found in an old tobacco pouch, but the ribbon faded though it is seems to belong to the British war Medal. And of course, it's bronze, not gilded.

Abhay

It seems that only Indigo colour has stood the test of time, while all the other colours faded away!!! The Original Ribbon was Double Rainbow in colour, with Indigo at the Edges and Red in the Center.

It is a very common medal, as some SIX Millions are believed to be produced.

Details about this medal:

Medal No. 170 of Medal Year Book
Date:  1919
Campaign:  WW I 1914-1919
Branch of Service:  British Forces
Ribbon:  38mm Double Rainbow - Indigo at the Edges and Red in Center
Metal:  Yellow Bronze
Size:  36mm
Clasp:  None
Description:   Obverse: The standing figure of Victory holding a Palm Branch in her Right Hand and stretching out her Left Hand   Reverse:     A laurel wreath containing a four line inscription "THE GREAT WAR FOR CIVILISATION 1914-1919"

This medal was issued to all who had already got the 1914 or 1914-15 Stars and most of those who had the British War Medal, some six million are beloved to have been produced. It is often known as the Allied was medal because the same basic design and double rainbow ribbon were adopted by Thirteen other allied nations.

Abhay
INVESTING IN YESTERDAY

bagerap

From what I can understand, it would be expected for a warrant officer in the Labour Corps to have received a silver medal rather than a bronze. That certainly held true for the BWM.

Manzikert

No, the Victory medal was only ever issued in the golden bronze metal, never in silver. The strange colour of yours is probably due to the same 'corrosion' processes that have affected the ribbon.

Alan

Figleaf

Possibly, the discolourations of textile and metal were caused by the same thing: tobacco juice. The stuff that turns the fingers of smokers yellow.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.