Author Topic: 2015 Battle of Britain 50p - No denomination  (Read 9271 times)

Offline SandyGuyUK

2015 Battle of Britain 50p - No denomination
« on: November 18, 2014, 01:28:10 PM »
Has anyone else noticed that the new 50p for 2015 does not include a denomination on it?  I thought that this was just a mistake on the part of the Royal Mint and their website and they'd put the wrong obverse picture up.  However, having looked at the Gazette and the royal proclamation behind its issue, this is evidently not the case.
See https://www.thegazette.co.uk/notice/2209186.

So - two questions -

1. Why has the Royal Mint decided to go back to the practice of not putting the denomination on their "coins" - I thought that with the exception of the sovereign, this had died out back in 1990 when the £5 coin was first issued.  Given that previously the mint has had 50p coins where the date and the denomination have all been on the obverse, why not do it again this time? 

2. Are there any other MODERN examples of supposedly circulating coins where this has happened (i.e. not counting the "Crown" denominated material etc. issued by Pobjoy et al).

I'm still not going to be buying one of these as it's typical of the over-priced overly commercial tat that we have come to expect from the Mint these days but it's interesting nonetheless.

Ian
Ian
UK

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
Re: 2015 Battle of Britain 50p - No denomination
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2014, 01:41:17 PM »

2. Are there any other MODERN examples of supposedly circulating coins where this has happened (i.e. not counting the "Crown" denominated material etc. issued by Pobjoy et al).

None that I know of. Though the general legends and abbreviations have been varied a lot in recent years. See the link below:

Milestones in the decimal coinage of the UK

« Last Edit: November 18, 2014, 04:38:09 PM by <k> »
Visit the website of The Royal Mint Museum.

See: The Royal Mint Museum.

Offline augsburger

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2014, 10:20:59 PM »
It's totally possible they have just used a generic portrait side and the real coin will have fifty pence written below the portrait. They have made changes to coins after the announcement of designs before, like the Olympic swimming coin.
I would guess that the people who put the pics up don't get to see the coin, they just get sent the battle of britain side and put 2 and 2 together to make... 22.

Offline andyg

• Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • DERBYS · UK
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2014, 10:52:08 PM »
It's totally possible they have just used a generic portrait side and the real coin will have fifty pence written below the portrait. They have made changes to coins after the announcement of designs before, like the Olympic swimming coin.
I would guess that the people who put the pics up don't get to see the coin, they just get sent the battle of britain side and put 2 and 2 together to make... 22.

It's also possible it will have the new portrait....
always willing to trade modern UK coins for modern coins from elsewhere....

Offline augsburger

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2014, 11:05:53 PM »
I was under the impression that 2015 was the last year of the old portrait. That 2016 would see the new portrait. I don't remember last time they brought in a new portrait, but I guess the new Dent coins were half/half during the year, so possible...

Might even made a media feeding frenzy by having not many of the old portrait and declaring them the rarest ever in circulation (with one hundred billion of them in spare to sell on ebay).

Offline andyg

• Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • DERBYS · UK
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2014, 11:34:26 PM »
Those in the proof sets must be out already - anyone have one?
I stopped buying them due to cost....

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2014, 08:48:13 AM »
£4.20 for the 50p coin and still over two days to go for the auction to end. Why are people so desperate to get it? :o

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Offline augsburger

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2014, 10:41:08 AM »
There seem to be people who are amazingly desperate. Don't they realise it came from a set and they could just buy the set?

Offline andyg

• Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • DERBYS · UK
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2015, 11:49:37 PM »

According to "Coin News" (UK) - the circulation versions will indeed have "50 Pence"
... I still wonder if they will use the new portrait on the circs ...

Offline augsburger

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2015, 09:30:43 AM »
Sounds like they messed up and then changed the design after the event. They did this with the swimming Olympic 50p too.

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2015, 03:41:56 PM »
According to "Coin News" (UK) - the circulation versions will indeed have "50 Pence"
... I still wonder if they will use the new portrait on the circs ...

You mean there will be two versions of it? (With and without denomination) ??? Can these be called mules then?

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2015, 05:41:40 PM »
You mean there will be two versions of it? (With and without denomination) ??? Can these be called mules then?

Aditya

No - they are simply two different versions.  :)  A mule occurs when a coin is accidentally produced with the reverse of one coin and the obverse of a different coin. One example is the mule that has a Bahamas/QEII obverse and the reverse of a New Zealand 2 cents coin, depicting a flower. Sometimes mules are produced and some people think they are NOT accidental - but that's a different story.
Visit the website of The Royal Mint Museum.

See: The Royal Mint Museum.

Offline eurocoin

• Technical posts member
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2015, 05:43:33 PM »
From what I have heard here and there the circulation pieces will indeed get the new effigy. This variant can be compared with the 2015 gold Sovereign, the early minted pieces are going to get the old effigy while the later pieces feature the new effigy.

Offline augsburger

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2015, 09:57:04 PM »
So the new portrait is close to coming out this year then? I assumed it would be coming out for the 2016 coins (in 2015 as they do in sets etc)