News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Specific questions

Started by Figleaf, November 11, 2014, 05:22:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

malj1

Morecambe & Heysham Corporation's first bus was introduced in 1932 [but note 1931 model] see this great history, Apple Green and Juicy

Regarding Ribble; See right at the bottom of that page:
We in Lancaster, with our mixed (but increasingly Leyland-biased) fleet always thought M&H a little odd. This was the Council generally, not just the Transport Department with its love of AEC vehicles.
The two authorities did not "get on" and they joined forces with Ribble on the University services with some reluctance. A or B plus Ribble was just about palatable, but A working with B was well beyond reason.
I have been advised that the shotgun marriage of April 1974 was highly traumatic for both parties,.....

A fleet list show various dates and transfers to LCC at the end

It also shows some other buses from 1926 and 1928. See note  * 26 to 33 from Heysham and District Motors. ...presumably this is the Heysham & Distriuct concern, taken over 04/05/29, referred to in the first paragraph in my first link. These buses would have been from this concern.

Mention is also made of the Morecambe Tramways Co.

other useful information is shown on this page

Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

Figleaf

Quote from: malj1 on November 12, 2014, 12:37:19 PM
BNC, Aberdeen - we don't even know what BNC stands for...

From the TCS bulletin May 1995

What if it is NCB and stands for National Coal Board? That would likely make it a Sheffield, rather than an Aberdeen token and it may make it something else than a bus/tram token...

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

malj1

Quote from: Figleaf on December 01, 2014, 12:29:51 AM
...I am also still in doubt of the role of Ribble Motor Services (Preston), which had a line to Morecambe. For the moment, I will assume they were outsiders with a "long distance" service into Morecambe only.

Peter

See this cropped timetable for Ribble joint service with M&H
Malcolm

malj1

Quote from: Figleaf on December 01, 2014, 01:13:46 AM
What if it is NCB and stands for National Coal Board? That would likely make it a Sheffield, rather than an Aberdeen token and it may make it something else than a bus/tram token...

Peter

I think that is unlikely given the layout of the letters, from looking at other tokens with a similar layout the most likely reading is BNC 

...C could be council or corporation, or maybe Canteen.
Malcolm

malj1

Meanwhile back in Ribble...

+ the bottom of the other timetable.
Malcolm

malj1

And for M&H once more a confusing ticket but interesting because it has advertising from M&H.
Malcolm

Figleaf

More puzzle pieces. Don't hesitate to edit the M&H lemma or comment on its discussion page. I have tried to insert all relevant information gleaned from your links, but may have overlooked something.

One more thought. If I remember correctly, the halfpenny (or was it the farthing?) was withdrawn even before decimalisation. This may be relevant for the three halfpence denomination.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

malj1

The farthing was last made in 1956 and demonetised in 1960.

The halfpenny was last made in 1967 but I believe circulated until decimal day 1971, so the three-halfpence tokens would have been OK until  decimal day.

Malcolm