Kingdom of Hawaii

Started by <k>, November 13, 2014, 10:21:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gpimper

Here's a fun one...Wife and I served 6 years all toll in Hawaii and must have picked this up on one of our Maui trips :-)  1993 Trade Dollar.
The Chief...aka Greg

Figleaf

Found the issuer here.

"Maui...no ka oi!" = Maui ... for the best.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

brandm24

Quote from: gpimper on August 20, 2020, 09:09:43 PM
Here's a fun one...Wife and I served 6 years all toll in Hawaii and must have picked this up on one of our Maui trips :-)  1993 Trade Dollar.
Thanks for posting that, Greg, I hadn't seen them before. Do you know if there's a series of these things? I seem to recall hearing about a group of Hawaii pieces called "Hawaiian Dollars." Similar to these I think.

Geez, you guys served in some horrible locations...and for six years!  ;D

Bruce
Always Faithful

gpimper

Bruce, I'm looking around because I'm pretty sure we have others.  Ya, Hawaii was tough...all those beaches and surfing ;-)
The Chief...aka Greg

Alex Island

Quote from: brandm24 on August 21, 2020, 11:17:38 AM
I hadn't seen them before. Do you know if there's a series of these things? I seem to recall hearing about a group of Hawaii pieces called "Hawaiian Dollars." Similar to these I think.

Hawaiian numismatics is a very large and complex, very interesting topic.
I have collected a photo collection from auctions for tokens and coins of all Hawaiian islands, for each island separately. The following types of coins were produced in large quantities:

- old trade tokens
- military tokens
- other tokens
- old silver & gold coins (kings & queens)
- "trade dollars" & tourist dollars
- elongated pressed coins
- wooden nickel tokens
- game tokens
- souvenir medals
- challenge coins
- "Sandwich islands" coins & medals
- mention of Hawaiian islands on foreign coins and medals, historical
- other exonumia

I was especially interested in collecting tokens that indicated the name of one particular Hawaiian island. Thus, for each of the Hawaiian islands, there is a personal numismatic set, represented by a variety of artifacts; if this is interesting, and such a topic deserves detailed consideration, I can show photos and classification by Hawaii in a separate thread for each island separately.
All islands around the world & islands coin

Figleaf

I'd be interested in the 1881 Sandwich Island pieces.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Alex Island

Quote from: Figleaf on September 05, 2020, 05:14:38 PM
I'd be interested in the 1881 Sandwich Island pieces.

Peter

There are also medals, this one is the most interesting:
All islands around the world & islands coin

brandm24

This is the official statehood medal of Hawaii struck in 1959 by Medallic Art Co. (MACO) of New York to celebrate Hawaiian statehood. They were distributed by a company called The Coin and Currency Institute ( NY and California).

They were struck in bronze, silver, sterling silver, and gold. Though the mintage numbers are in dispute about 30,000 bronze, 3,000 silver (including sterling), and about 60 gold examples were minted. They're 63.5 mm in diameter.
The Hawaiian phrase "Ka Mau Ke Ea O Ka Ana I Ka Pono" found under the seal of the state of Hawaii translates to "The life of the land is perpetuated in righteousness." It's the state moto.

(Images courtesy of eBay seller celluloid).

Bruce
Always Faithful