Author Topic: Abbasid Governors, Cilicia: Thamal al-Dulafi (ca. 923-933) AE Fals, ND, Tarsus  (Read 654 times)

Offline Quant.Geek

• Honorary Member
Abbasid Governors, Cilicia: Thamal al-Dulafi (ca. 923-933) AE Fals, ND, Tarsus (Album-300; Stern-2)

Obv: Within circle, الامير ثمل (al-amir Thamal)
Rev: Within circle, large annulet in plain field

References:

Stern, S. M., The Coins of Thamal and of Other Governors of Tarsus, Journal of the American Oriental Society (1960): 217-25

A high-resolution image of this coin is available at FORVM Ancient Coins

« Last Edit: September 17, 2017, 11:24:25 PM by Quant.Geek »
A gallery of my coins can been seen at FORVM Ancient Coins

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Great coin, exemplary research. Thank you for the link.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Quant.Geek

• Honorary Member
Thanks Peter.  This is one case where Album doesn't do a good job in differentiating between the different types of coins that are available.  All the coins in this series are labeled as Album-300.  Consider for example the following coin which I was unsuccessful in winning  :'(.  It is classified as Album-300, but using Stern, it is classified as Stern-1.  Album does classify all these coins as Very Rare. I am pretty certain that this will be fixed in the next edition of the Checklist...

Abbasid Governors, Cilicia: Thamal al-Dulafi (ca. 923-933) AE Fals, ND, Tarsus (Album-300; Stern-1)

Obv: الامير ثمل (al-amir Thamal); Two pellets below, flanking the mim of the second line.
Rev: محمد رسول الله (Muhammad is the apostle of Allah) in double circle.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2014, 11:50:45 PM by Quant.Geek »
A gallery of my coins can been seen at FORVM Ancient Coins

Offline Manzikert

• Honorary Member
I recently had the good luck to acquire a different coin of Thamal, and thought it would be a suitable addition to this thread.

Abbasid Governors, Cilicia: Thamal al-Dulafi (ca. 923-933) AE Fals, ND, Tarsus (Album-300; Stern--; SICA Vol. 2, 1633, Zeno 106084 [et.al.])

Obv. ثمل 'Thamal' in double beaded border
Rev. Six pointed star in double beaded border
3.08 gm, 24 mm, cast

Alan

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline THCoins

• Honorary Member
That's a very strong and timeless design !

Offline Manzikert

• Honorary Member
It was the characteristic style with the outlined text that made me buy it: it was just listed as 'unknown islamic copper' but I was sure I'd seen it referred to as a fals of Tarsus, and I was glad to find I was right. I think the look is rather modern, and to see it on a 10th century copper is fascinating.

Alan