Linked Events

• 13th Annual Coin Fair of Mumbai Coin Society: October 16, 2015 - October 18, 2015
  • 14th Annual Coin Fair of Mumbai Coin Society : September 23, 2016 - September 25, 2016
  • 15th Annual Coin Fair of Mumbai Coin Society : September 15, 2017 - September 17, 2017

Author Topic: Mumbai: Coin Exhibitions in 2015/2016/2017  (Read 8428 times)

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
Mumbai: Coin Exhibitions in 2015 / 2016
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2016, 05:42:22 PM »
I have booked ny tickets for Mumbai. Will be there for all 3 days but I am making it a Business cum hobby visit with an aim to meet friends and experts.

That's great! Hopefully we will meet up on Saturday! :)

Other members, especially from Mumbai / nearby cities still have lot of time to plan a quick visit. Weather is also good these days! Hurry up! 8)

Aditya
Caution. The low-hanging fruits are still there maybe for a reason.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: Mumbai: Coin Exhibitions in 2015 / 2016
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2016, 09:14:20 PM »
Hurry up all and sunder who are close enough to Mumbai. And don't forget it is a treat to meet asm and Bimat. Speaking from experience...

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2016, 05:47:22 PM »
Those who are planning to come tomorrow or on Sunday, keep your umbrellas handy. ;) We are witnessing unusually heavy rains these days (this time of the September isn't really known for heavy rains) and weather department has already issued a warning that rains could get intense in next 48 hours.

I'm lined up with a meeting (non technical) at office tomorrow in the morning but I'm hoping to be able to attend the show later in the day, provided the meeting ends on time...

Aditya
« Last Edit: September 23, 2016, 06:09:02 PM by Bimat »

Offline TTT

« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2016, 10:33:45 PM »
I'm hoping to be able to attend the show later in the day, provided the meeting ends on time...

Aditya

Also planning to be there tomorrow afternoon.  drop a pm if you would like to connect there..

Offline TTT

« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2016, 03:07:10 PM »
Had a poor experience at the Mumbai Coin Fair today due to a gentleman by the name of Mr. Manish Mehra, Kolkata. He was extremely rude and even though I'm sure my knowledge in the field of British Indian coins is not up to his, there is no need to be rude to someone who is an amateur. I would also like to complain to Mumbai Coin Society about him. These sort of people should not be allowed to exhibit if they cannot maintain a friendly attitude to visitors.

I asked him the price of an 1840 Rupee coin he had on display - he said Rs. 4000/-.
I said "Wow, expensive."
He said "That is a special variety, I have cheaper ones for 1000 - 1200 Rs."
I asked to see them and he obliged. They were very obviously newly made poor quality fakes.
I said "These are newly made".
He snatched the coin from my hand and said "Go away right now!". When I refused, things became heated and I left saying I would be making a complaint about him.

Below is a photo of the fat man in the pink shirt at his stall, buyers beware!!

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2016, 05:40:55 PM »
I was there for a brief period today afternoon. Wasn't feeling well, so didn't spend much time (in fact, spent more time in travelling than at fair!). Overall, the exhibition is OK. Not much for world coin collectors, seems that interest in Republic India coins is also not much these days. Republic India banknotes are still doing good business but I heard that prices have crashed in past few months. I did not buy anything (or rather, didn't get anything of my interest).

Unfortunately, I couldn't meet asm, I may have left even before he came. :-\ Met few other friends though, exchanged some coins (and rumors too)! :D

I noticed one interesting thing: Oswal's started their auction with national anthem (followed by Bharat Mata Ki Jai!). Is that a regular practice? I don't think so, I have never seen such scenes at a coin show!

Aditya

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2016, 09:07:50 PM »
Sorry about your negative experience, TTT. In another thread, I learned that organisers of coin events may put in a clause that selling fakes is not allowed. This clause seems to be lightly enforced only, but it does occur. The dealer's attitude of not showing his fakes until someone showed an interest is suspect.

I would suggest that you follow this course of action on a future occasion:
  • You study the coin, memorise what makes them fake and show an interest: "Interesting. Do you have many of these? I have an acquaintance who wants to buy a number of them." Do not say anything negative.*
  • If the dealer falls for this, say you will bring your acquaintance to his table. Leave and contact the organisers.
  • Ask if they have the "no fakes" clause or point out that you have seen it. Once they have acknowledged, say there is a dealer selling fakes in quantity. Insist that action is taken under the "no fakes" clause. Tell them how you recognise them as fakes. Show them a genuine coin at another table if you can and again highlight how to recognise the fakes. Guide a rep of the organisers who you have instructed on how to recognise the fakes (not a person the dealer may know) to the table, ask to see the fake coins again.
  • Let the organisers handle it from there.
Dealers pay for a table. If they are forcibly removed, that damages their income as well as their reputation. Even if no further action is undertaken they are hurt for trying to sell fakes.

Peter

* I would suggest you never say a coin is (too) expensive, but rather that you cannot afford it.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 10:30:28 PM by Figleaf »
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline TTT

« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2016, 10:51:17 AM »
FigLeaf, thanks for your extremely practical and sound advice. Sounds like the perfect MO to follow when faced with this situation.

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2017, 02:38:39 PM »
Next exhibition by the Mumbai Coin Society (15th Annual Exhibition) is planned in September: September 15 - September 17, 2017. Venue is likely to be the same, shall confirm once more details are available.

Aditya

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
Re: Mumbai: Coin Exhibitions in 2015/2016/2017
« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2017, 06:49:53 AM »
Since Jan is being honoured for his contribution to Indian Numismatics, I have booked my tickets for Mumbai and will be in Mumbai for all 3 days but as I did last year, I am making it a Business, social cum hobby visit with an aim to meet friends and experts. I will be at the fair all day on Friday and for a few hours on Sunday morning.

If any one is coming, it would be nice to catch up.

Amit
"It Is Better To Light A Candle Than To Curse The Darkness"

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
Mumbai: Coin Exhibitions in 2015/2016/2017
« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2017, 11:02:22 AM »
Won't be able to attend this time. Terribly busy with project work these days. A working Saturday tomorrow, perhaps a working Sunday too. :'(

Aditya

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
Mumbai: Coin Exhibitions in 2015/2016/2017
« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2017, 01:42:11 PM »
Couldn't make it this time (I'm still in the office), but I saw some nice photos and videos of Jan's felicitation as well as b'day bash. Seems like everyone enjoyed it!  Please share the photos here as well (those who have it).

Aditya

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2017, 01:58:41 PM »
Was there all day yesterday ...... but on work today. Hope to attend tomorrow for a bit.

Will post pictures of all the functions as soon as I get some time. First was the function where Jan was honoured for his contribution to Indian Numismatics with the token in his honour. Then came the Birthday celebrations with cake cutting and later the ONS talk by Jan on the Indian Numismatic scene in the last almost 50 years. The day ended with a dinner celebration which ended with a cake once again. A rather full day.

Amit
"It Is Better To Light A Candle Than To Curse The Darkness"

Offline dheer

• Honorary Member
  • Indian Coins & Currencies
    • Coins of Republic India
« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2017, 08:39:40 PM »
Thanks for the update.
http://coinsofrepublicindia.blogspot.in
A guide on Republic India Coins & Currencies

Offline Coinsforever

• Honorary Member
« Reply #29 on: Today at 04:48:00 AM »
Was there all day yesterday ...... but on work today. Hope to attend tomorrow for a bit.

Will post pictures of all the functions as soon as I get some time. First was the function where Jan was honoured for his contribution to Indian Numismatics with the token in his honour. Then came the Birthday celebrations with cake cutting and later the ONS talk by Jan on the Indian Numismatic scene in the last almost 50 years. The day ended with a dinner celebration which ended with a cake once again. A rather full day.

Amit

I got chance to view your video at dinner time.Every one including you were in cheerful mood and looking fresh & enthusiastic.
Oesho's function was equally  like Film fare award  enjoyed the photographs of events.
Will pickup  the medal this weekend as priceless  memory
Cheers ;D
Every experience, good or bad, is a priceless collector's item.

http://knowledge-numismatics.blogspot.in/