login

Linked Events

• 13th Annual Coin Fair of Mumbai Coin Society: October 16, 2015 - October 18, 2015
  • 14th Annual Coin Fair of Mumbai Coin Society : September 23, 2016 - September 25, 2016
  • 15th Annual Coin Fair of Mumbai Coin Society : September 15, 2017 - September 17, 2017

Author Topic: Mumbai: Coin Exhibitions in 2015/2016/2017  (Read 9286 times)

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
Mumbai: Coin Exhibitions in 2015/2016/2017
« on: November 08, 2014, 07:40:35 AM »
2014 is not over yet but we already have dates for some of the future coin shows in Mumbai. ;)

- 13th Annual Coin Fair of Mumbai Coin Society at World Trade Centre, from 16th to 18th October, 2015.

- 14th Annual Coin Fair of Mumbai Coin Society at World Trade Centre, from 23rd to 25th September, 2016.

Aditya
« Last Edit: January 07, 2017, 02:39:40 PM by Bimat »
Caution. The low-hanging fruits are still there maybe for a reason.

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
Re: Mumbai: Coin Exhibitions in 2015 / 2016
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2014, 03:11:18 AM »
With so many fairs and exhibitions being held, it has now become imperative for the better organised ones to declare dates well in advance so that their dates do not clash with the other ones. This announcement of dates will now deter other fairs being held in nearby areas during the same time.

Amit
"It Is Better To Light A Candle Than To Curse The Darkness"

Offline Coinsforever

• Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2014, 11:43:21 AM »
Such auctions dates  seems following ,  Bollywood movies release date of various super stars   which are usually booked ( 1 year ahead) for Diwali , ID and other prominent occasions .

Too many auctions are just showing desperation from auctions houses with too much fierce competition or in other terms marketing wars........

Cheers ;D
Every experience, good or bad, is a priceless collector's item.

http://knowledge-numismatics.blogspot.in/

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
Mumbai: Coin Exhibitions in 2015 / 2016
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2015, 11:22:21 AM »
I'm planning to be there on Saturday afternoon, October 17th. Anyone else coming?

Aditya

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2015, 07:58:43 AM »
Hindujas to donate rare coins to Maharashtra

By PTI | 14 Oct, 2015, 09.54PM IST

LONDON: The Hinduja family is making a donation of rare coins to Maharashtra this week.

At the World Trade Centre in Mumbai, the Hinduja Foundation, under the aegis of brothers Srichand, Gopichand and Ashok Hinduja, will bequeath rare coins from ancient India to Maharashtra Governor C Vidyasagar Rao tomorrow.

These coins were sourced by Lance Dane, an officer of the Royal British Army, and the private viewing this week is being called the "Lance Dane Bequest".

Dane continued to live on in India much after the Britishers moved out as he fell in love with the country.

The Hindujas hope this private viewing and donation would add to the state's historic treasures.

Source: Economic Times

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2015, 10:18:43 AM »
Aditya,

I believe that this is a display of coins that were bequeathed by the late Lance Dane to the Hinduja Foundation and they are putting them on display in a Gallery. The work on this has been done by Shailen Bhandare who will deliver a small lecture when the display is inaugurated by the Maharashtra Governor. 

Amit

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2015, 04:45:26 PM »
I'm just back from the fair.

There's nothing special to say about it as last few exhibitions have been quite disappointing. Overall, it's OK, if you are from Mumbai, there's no harm in attending it. Fancy number banknotes are back in action (in last fair, sale of such banknotes was banned due to police/IT department complaint). RBI is having its own stall and they are distributing bags of regular ₹ coins for face value (₹1, ₹2, ₹10, no commemorative coins, didn't see ₹5 coins). I also saw quite a few bundles kept on the table (₹10 and ₹20) but didn't see anyone buying them. India Post is also having its own stall.

Surprisingly, I found some nice foreign coins. Added three new countries to my collection (French Madagascar, Vanuatu and Zaire), also bought Thailand's 10 Baht coin depicting Lord Ganesha and a Pakistani coin commemorating Benazir Bhutto.

The exhibition by Hinduja's is also good. They have displayed very few coins but whatever is displayed, it's of top quality. Since I don't understand anything in ancient Indian coins, I can say only this much... :-\

It was another opportunity to meet fellow collectors, had nice South Indian lunch with them in nearby Kamat's restaurant. :)

Aditya

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2015, 05:36:38 PM »
Thanks for the report, Bimat. If you met a couple of collecting friends and got some nice coins for your collection it wasn't so bad after all. May you meet even more fellow collectors next time. Hinduja is definitely on my radar...

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Pabitra

• Honorary Member
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2015, 06:58:32 PM »

Surprisingly, I found some nice foreign coins. Added three new countries to my collection (French Madagascar, Vanuatu and Zaire),

Did you manage to get latest circulation set (2015) of Vanuatu in Mumbai?
Who was the dealer?

Offline dheer

• Honorary Member
  • Indian Coins & Currencies
    • Coins of Republic India
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2015, 07:18:15 AM »
RBI is having its own stall and they are distributing bags of regular ₹ coins for face value (₹1, ₹2, ₹10, no commemorative coins, didn't see ₹5 coins). I also saw quite a few bundles kept on the table (₹10 and ₹20) but didn't see anyone buying them. India Post is also having its own stall.

Looks like I didn't miss much, except the opportunity to met fellow collectors. Good that RBI was present with bags. I would have got few bags just for the heck of it.
http://coinsofrepublicindia.blogspot.in
A guide on Republic India Coins & Currencies

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2015, 07:47:40 AM »
Indian coins with ancient Brahmi script on display in Mumbai

Ayesha Venkataraman, TNN | Oct 18, 2015, 06.38 AM IST

MUMBAI: It is a rarity indeed to get to see first-hand some of the earliest coins of India, silver Mudras originating bet sixthfifth to second cen ween sixthfifth to second century BCE. And these irregular y-shaped punch-marked coins bearing different motifs that help identify them to a different region or state constitute 20 percent of the over 35,000 coins bequeathed by the late Lance Dane, a British army officer, to Hinduja Foundation Antiquity Col ection (HFAC). A small but carefully curated part of this mammoth collection is on display at the World Trade Centre tomorrow between 10.30am and 5.30pm.

"This is probably one of the world's best-known collections of ancient India which traditionally is the period covering 500 BC to 500 AD. And it's a sample of all the coins that you need to establish historical continuity, evolution of coin making, how empires got bigger and how some disintegrated," said Paul Abraham, a member of HFAC.Exhibited alongside the Mudras that were hammered with symbols on only one side, are two-sided coins from other periods of Indian history, chronicling its growth through their evolution. The post-Mauryan period saw a arge variety of uninscribed and inscribed punch-marked, cast and die-struck coins which are on display, having monarchical, city or tribal origins based on their markings. Significantly, many of the coins from this period bore inscriptions written in Brahmi, the earliest Indian script.

In the wake of the decline of Mauryan and Sungan empire, the Satavahanas emerged as a orce to be reckoned with around 1st Century BC, annexing und 1st Century BC, annexing contemporaneous dynasties like Kuras, Sidakanas and Ananadas. And much of the historical information about them was gleaned from their coins inclu ding the Satavahanas whose characteristic coins were issued in cheaper metals like copper, bronze and lead. "So this collection starts with the punch-mar ked coins of the Janapadas or small kingdoms through to the post Satavahana era but the core of the collection is the Satavahanas, with one of the most comprehensive representations of that entire dynasty," said Abraham.

The collection also highlights another dynasty, the Western Kshatrapas that ruled Western India during the first six centuries of the Christian era. Their silver coins had Brahmi inscriptions of the king's name and title as well the as predecessor's, which was vital to reconstructing their entire family genealogy. In addition, these coins are amongst the earliest dated coins of India with some bearing the bust of a king. Other dynasties represented in the collection include Magadha, Kasi, Anandas, Pandyas, the later Guptas, Cheras, Cholas as well as coins of foreign rulers.

While much of Dane's large bequest has still to be sifted through, work is underway to make all of it accessible to everyone."This collection is going to be completely documented and put onto a website so that people can access it for purposes of research and study. Some of the coins will be put on display at a venue yet to decided," stated Abraham.

Source: Times of India

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2015, 07:59:56 AM »
Did you manage to get latest circulation set (2015) of Vanuatu in Mumbai?
Who was the dealer?

No, it's not from the new series. It's 100 Vatu dated 2002.

There's a Sikh dealer who buys world coins in huge lots of few hundred kgs (from where nobody knows)and puts them for sale in coin exhibitions. There's no proper display of the coins, he just spreads them on a table. Interestingly, most of them are bimetallics from various countries and many times, you find uncommon coins in the lot. He himself is not much aware of value of the coins, he just sells them away for any price he gets. For example, couple of years back, he was selling Georgian 10 Lari bimetallic commemoratives (KM# 85 and 86) for ₹200 each when its face value is more than that. :D And when you are done with your shopping and he tells you the total amount to be paid, ask him for discount and he does that without any questions. :) You just have to tirelessly go through the huge bunch he keeps...

Aditya

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2015, 08:20:19 AM »
Good that RBI was present with bags. I would have got few bags just for the heck of it.

Remember that there were no commemorative coins, just the regular ones! Had they kept it, dealers would have boycotted the event! ;) I was told that RBI kept its stall this time and distributed regular coins for face as they want to break-up the nexus between dealers and some corrupt persons in RBI who are creating hype about new issues. Hopefully, they will keep commemorative coins next time...

I didn't buy any bags as I hardly have to deal with coins... ::)

Aditya

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2016, 06:29:10 PM »
Planning to be there on September 24 (Saturday). Anyone else also coming? I'm giving notice in advance so that you have enough time to plan accordingly. ;)

Aditya

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2016, 02:04:46 PM »
I have booked ny tickets for Mumbai. Will be there for all 3 days but I am making it a Business cum hobby visit with an aim to meet friends and experts.

Amit