News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Royal Mint Announces Plans for New Effigy of Queen Elizabeth II

Started by <k>, November 06, 2014, 03:51:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pabitra

Some of them will change at earliest and some of them will take their own sweet time.
In 2015, I expect only Gibraltar, Canada and Newzealand to change.
2016 should see Australia, Isle of Man, Jersey and Guernsey to change.
Last would be perhaps Falkland Islands.

You could hold a "guessing" competition on this forum.

<k>

Quote from: Bimat on March 07, 2015, 02:26:36 PM
By the way, the British Isles and crown dependencies will also change the portrait of the Queen this year itself if I'm not wrong?

Aditya

Usually the Crown dependencies keep in step with Britain. Who do you mean by the British Isles? St Helena and Ascension still use the Maklouf portrait. Gibraltar uses its own version of the Maklouf portrait.
Visit the website of The Royal Mint Museum.

See: The Royal Mint Museum.

andyg

Quote from: Pabitra on March 07, 2015, 02:52:10 PM
In 2015, I expect only Gibraltar, Canada and Newzealand to change.

Canada has been out of step for some time - are there plans to change their portrait? (It's a little newer than the UK portrait)
always willing to trade modern UK coins for modern coins from elsewhere....

Pabitra

Royal Canadian Mint is perhaps the most aggressive large mint to come out design variations at every little opportunity they can get.

Bimat

Quote from: <k> on March 07, 2015, 03:00:18 PM
Who do you mean by the British Isles?

I realized it late that British Isles and Crown Dependencies actually mean the same ;D but decided to keep my post as it is..

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Pabitra

Quote from: FosseWay on March 07, 2015, 02:34:30 PM
It's not a given that they will do so at all, or if they do, when. Australia changed to the IRB portrait a year later than the UK last time. Jersey never used the Maklouf portrait at all, continuing with Machin until 1997. There are numerous other examples of departures from the norm set in the UK.

Her Majesty's effigy appears on following 16 circulation coins of various countries.

Perhaps, we can start with the list of effigies for each of the nations

Australia
Belize
Bermuda
Canada
Cayman Islands
Cook Islands
East Caribbean States
Falkland Islands
Gibraltar
Guernsey
Isle of Man
Jersey
New Zealand
Saint Helena & Ascension Islands
Solomon Islands
United Kingdom

We then can monitor which obverse change.
Unlike last time, when UK had old effigy on 1997 coins but only new effigy on 1998 coins, this year the Royal mint has not followed the tradition. Although, this year (2015), no coins with old effigy has so far come into circulation, one can not rule out the possibility since 2015 has two sets with one effigy each.

kena

It is not exactly true that no coins with the old portrait have entered into circulation since the Royal Mint did put 100 of the Royal Navy coins into circulation (same one that they are selling for £10).

http://www.royalmint.com/aboutus/news/royal-navy-2-pound-coin

Ken

andyg

Quote from: kena on March 08, 2015, 09:55:07 AM
It is not exactly true that no coins with the old portrait have entered into circulation since the Royal Mint did put 100 of the Royal Navy coins into circulation (same one that they are selling for £10).

http://www.royalmint.com/aboutus/news/royal-navy-2-pound-coin

Ken

In addition some while ago there was a film produced by the mint showing 2015 pound coins being minted with the old portrait.

andyg

Quote from: Pabitra on March 08, 2015, 07:27:54 AM

Her Majesty's effigy appears on following 16 circulation coins of various countries.

Of which the current Rank-broadley portrait appears on 13 -
exceptions being Gibraltar, Canada and Belize.  If I were a betting man I would bet that these countries will not change.

kena

Here is what I find interesting:

The 2015 Annual BU Set being sold by the Royal Mint has the old portait with the x2 £5, x3 £2 (Royal Navy, Magna Carta, Technology), Battle of Britian 50 pence plus the Royal Shield £1 to 1 pence coins.

Now they have a BU set on sale with the new portait, which has the Royal Shield £1 to 1 pence and the new £2 with Circulating Coinage as part of the description

So there is no mention of a new Battle of Britian 50 pence, Royal Navy £2, Magna Carta  £2, or Technology £2 with the new portait.

Ken

Pabitra

Circulation sets with both effigies are available.
For those who, like me, are only into circulation coins would be interested in this dual set offer.

( photo quality suffered due to shrinking to accommodate limit of 128 Kb. If you want High grade image, kindly PM me or go to Royal Mint site)

augsburger

Years back the Mint would have just gone into 2015 with one set. But they can make money, lots more money, from those who need every coin.  ::)

onecenter

The last couple of years there were separate commemorative sets of British proof coins.  I do not collect the uncirculated sets, so I cannot say whether commemoratives have or will be issued as part of, or as a separate set.  Possibly, the 2015 commemoratives will not be released with the new effigy.  Given the marketing savvy of the British Royal Mint, do not bet against it.

In addition, the sterling silver coins with the new effigy must also be released as well as the piedforts.  We are way too early in the year to think the British Royal Mint has made all their coin issue decisions for the year.
Mark

Bimat

A funny take on the new portrait (with alternate designs) :D

Link

I really like the QR code idea! ;D

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

malj1

Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.