Author Topic: 1990 5 Pence  (Read 252 times)

Offline gpimper

• Meritorious Member
1990 5 Pence
« on: January 18, 2020, 10:30:30 PM »
I do believe that 1990 was the first year for this little 5 pence.  Nice little coin; I've no clue as to were I picked it up!  3.2g and 17mm.
The Chief...aka Greg

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: 1990 5 Pence
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2020, 06:24:19 AM »
At decimalisation, 5 pence was equal to a shilling a coin only slightly smaller than a US quarter dollar. The weight and size of this coin were maintained (5.65 grams, 23.6 mm), although its purchasing power was much diminished by a combination of the oil crisis of 1973, followed by a period of "stagflation" and an economic policy of responding to inflation by depreciation. When it was clear the British had generally survived decimalisation ;), the size of some denomination was reduced. In the case of the 5 pence, more decimal values were adopted: 3.25 grams, 18 mm. The smaller types used exactly the same design as the preceding types.

See this thread for an overview of the portraits of Elizabeth II used on different round metallic objects. As for the crowned thistle with branches, it is (crowned or uncrowned) one of the floral emblems of Scotland. As you are a bit of a gardener, you will know that it has spectacular flowers and is a fitting punishment for the neighbour's cat. ;D

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline gpimper

• Meritorious Member
Re: 1990 5 Pence
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2020, 06:27:38 AM »
Simba!  Local tomcat who is a pain could use some  >:(
The Chief...aka Greg