login

Author Topic: Expo 2015  (Read 1691 times)

Offline annovi.frizio

• FRIZIODESIGN
Expo 2015
« on: November 01, 2014, 09:42:56 PM »
Frizio Graphic Designer
http://www.friziodesign.it/

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: Expo 2015
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2014, 11:05:05 PM »
Simplicity is not simple. I like the wheat and your presentation. While it would be nice to include some kind of sea food, it would likely make the design a bit busy. It is tempting to use the logo, but even in colour it is hard to read. On a mono-colour coin, it's pretty hard to understand.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline augsburger

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2014, 10:01:40 AM »
It's very flat, like a lot of these 2 euro commemoratives. Perhaps, if I were to design a coin using wheat, I'd try and get the perspective of a wheat field in there, moving backwards over the coin.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2014, 10:14:47 AM »
A wheat field would not be the same symbol. It stands for agriculture, while the expo is on the theme food. That's why I pondered the possibility of adding seafood (and rejected it). I think what you call "flat" is abstraction, which is always helpful on a small coin. Some depth is achieved by the "sun" behind the ears of wheat.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline augsburger

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2014, 10:32:29 AM »
The title of the expo is "Feeding the Planet, Energy for Life" so that could incorporate a lot of different things. Perhaps a planet somewhere, how about an earth rise over a wheat field?

Here's an example i put together very quickly and used the 2 pound design template thing I was using for the royal mint competition.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2014, 10:42:23 AM »
Right, I thought you were thinking of perspective, not of sharpness. Quite nice! The "planet" idea is there as well now. I guess the problem is that the fuzzy parts will "disappear" for the eye/brain on a small coin and only two to five ears will be noted by a casual looker. You'd lose the depth you created so nicely...

Peter

Offline augsburger

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2014, 11:08:50 AM »
Yeah, perhaps. I literally found a photo and changed it and stuck it on. This wasn't exactly what I had planned it to look like, but I'm lazy, haha. I was thinking of perspective, but all the 10 photos or so I looked at weren't what I wanted. The earth provides some perspective, but not that much.

But not bad for a 5 minutes copy and paste job.........

Much easier than thinking about "Britishness"!

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2014, 12:48:10 PM »
Excellent, for so little time and cut and paste.

I am not half as proficient with designing software, but I did a Google search on rolling corn fields and looked at the pics. Here's one that struck my fancy. It's actually an agricultural robot. Replace it with a globe, centred on China, but keep it round, not flat. Use an outlined transparent font for the text and forget the logo.

Peter

Offline augsburger

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2014, 12:58:55 PM »
I was going to try and make it for you, but the photo isn't great for manipulation. But I like the perspective that the plants give you. If I were to draw it I could make it work, but that takes a lot of effort.

Also seems China is one of the least photogenic parts of the earth. Africa, America, even Europe are instantly recognisable from space. But China and that part of the world are a massive landmass without much in the way of defining coast line.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2014, 04:17:27 PM »
Kind thought. Thank you. I made the coin in my mind instead.

The Asian land mass would do. With China and India alone you have 3/8 of the population of the world...

Peter

Offline augsburger

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2014, 05:27:56 PM »
Apparently half to world's population lives in a circle including China, India and Indonesia. Scary stuff but they get a lot of rain to support the people.

I have lots of ideas for coins and when I go to make them, most look quite bad. Of those I sent off even some of them I didn't like. It's really hard to know how to make something you'd really like to see on a coin.

Offline annovi.frizio

• FRIZIODESIGN
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2014, 11:47:38 PM »
Frizio Graphic Designer

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2014, 02:21:59 PM »
Nice, Frizio! The depth is there. I guess you think the logo should be included.

Peter

Offline annovi.frizio

• FRIZIODESIGN
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2014, 03:14:35 PM »

::)
Frizio Graphic Designer

Offline augsburger

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2014, 03:20:47 PM »
I like it, except the grid thing looks like a chocolate bar to me.