Author Topic: Western Satraps in India  (Read 1118 times)

Offline Abhay

• Honorary Member
Western Satraps in India
« on: September 18, 2013, 06:46:21 PM »
Is there any good Book/catalogue/literature/website for the Kshatrapa Coins?

Abhay
INVESTING IN YESTERDAY

Offline THCoins

• Honorary Member
Re: Western Satraps in India
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2013, 07:20:21 PM »
Ref: A.M. Fishman
       The Silver Coinage of the Western Satraps in India (50-400 AD)
       2013, ISBN-13: 978-1463656157

Is a very recent and extensive monograph on these coins, with full catalog with lots of good quality pictures.
Costs about 85 $ (Excl. postage)

Offline Overlord

• Honorary Member
  • Tamdiu discendum est, quamdiu vivas
    • Collect Old Coins
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2014, 02:54:34 PM »
Ref: A.M. Fishman
       The Silver Coinage of the Western Satraps in India (50-400 AD)
       2013, ISBN-13: 978-1463656157

Is a very recent and extensive monograph on these coins, with full catalog with lots of good quality pictures.
Costs about 85 $ (Excl. postage)
Just got my copy. A bit disappointed in terms of production quality vis-a-vis the price (didn't notice while ordering that it was a Createspace title). INR 5650 is VERY steep for a paperback printed on uncoated paper. The quality of the content, however, is superb.

Offline THCoins

• Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2014, 08:40:33 PM »
Well if i compare it with the Hoover book on Bactrian coins, this was about the same price. The Hoover book looks better, is hardcover and has better paper. However, it has to many errors and editorial flaws. Then, i have to conclude for me, i found the Fishman book the better buy.

Offline Overlord

• Honorary Member
  • Tamdiu discendum est, quamdiu vivas
    • Collect Old Coins
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2014, 02:54:48 AM »
Agreed on quality, THCoins, but this (high-priced numismatic titles) seems to have become a trend. I think this will shrink the (already minuscule) market of individual buyers for such titles in the long run. Price was the only reason I didn't buy the other (equally steeply priced) book on base metal coinage, for instance. I had thought self-publishing solutions such as Createspace (which offer a substantially higher royalty and allow the author to choose the list price) would improve things. Alack, not so. In a few years, it seems, only institutions and a handful of individuals would be able to afford such titles.

Offline Ancientnoob

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2015, 03:21:56 PM »
I bought the Fishman book right when it came out. I also bought many of my coins including 20 or so rulers. The book is superb in terms of content and ease of use. Granted it is softcover and doesn't have glossy color photos but it is a text on the subject I would find difficult to live with out.

:like: :like:
"Everything is worth what its purchaser will pay for it."

- Publius Syrius