Author Topic: Pile of coins covered in green powder, help!!  (Read 4388 times)

Offline capnbirdseye

• Vic
  • Honorary Member
Pile of coins covered in green powder, help!!
« on: October 23, 2014, 09:21:24 PM »
I've been offered this very cheap pile of 130 coins from the sub continent & this is how they look in the photo he sent me  :o I'm wondering what it is as it's clearly very powdery green stuff but quite possibly not bronze disease but something similar that might leave the coins in fair condition underneath.He's a reliable seller I've used before & I've asked him to stir the pile into boiling water to remove the loose powder & re photograph before i decide to buy or not as the pile could contain some interesting stuff. What do you all think?/ too risky ?
Vic

Offline Quant.Geek

• Honorary Member
Re: Pile of coins covered in green powder, help!!
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2014, 09:44:56 PM »
My concern is the coin with the hole on the upper right!!!  Could spell trouble for the lot.  But you did the right thing by asking him to boil it to see if things can be loosened up a bit before buying.  I would also send the pictures to Bruce to see if he can shed some light on this...
A gallery of my coins can been seen at FORVM Ancient Coins

Offline THCoins

• Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2014, 09:45:37 PM »
It looks like an absolute mess! The green stuff even seems to have formed filaments over the coins. Although there is some detail on some coins, i rcognize none.
However, unless the green powder is holi colored cocaine, there seems to be no real risk ? In the worst case you just recover two or three decent coins from it. If you want to spend the money and time, i am curious what you might find!

Offline capnbirdseye

• Vic
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2014, 09:49:30 PM »
It looks like an absolute mess! The green stuff even seems to have formed filaments over the coins. Although there is some detail on some coins, i rcognize none.
However, unless the green powder is holi colored cocaine, there seems to be no real risk ? In the worst case you just recover two or three decent coins from it. If you want to spend the money and time, i am curious what you might find!

Me too  :D & the price is low enough to take a chance, I'm going to wait & see if he washes the coins as requested & does another photo
Vic

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2014, 11:23:50 PM »
The hole is squarish, like a medieval nail. It might be innocent. The lot looks like hours of green fun. I'd buy it. Consider what you pay for a theatre or cinema ticket...

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline @josephjk

• Honorary Member
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2014, 01:11:28 AM »
If those are Travancore coins... I'll be green with envy  >:D ;D ;D

Offline capnbirdseye

• Vic
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2014, 11:19:54 AM »
I've got a new photo where he gave them a swill round in hot water & presumably a lot of the green powder has come off easily, now I can see that a good many may clean up a lot better although they mostly look like early stuff as I can see Kushan & several B&H amongst them there may be some rarities, to think these coins may have been undisturbed for possibly centuries there could be some good stuff amongst them so watch this space  :D
« Last Edit: October 24, 2014, 11:39:17 AM by capnbirdseye »
Vic

Offline capnbirdseye

• Vic
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2014, 11:35:42 AM »
If those are Travancore coins... I'll be green with envy  >:D ;D ;D

He offered me a huge pile of over 300 early Travancore coppers for $50,  but the condition was so good I would have had no fun cleaning them to find out what they were so I declined to buy them  :D :D ;D
Vic

Offline saro

• Honorary Member
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2014, 11:24:29 AM »
After washing in hot water, coins show that they are a good basis for a further cleaning, details are already visible and you may have good surprises...most are Kushan & medieval India it seems? We are eagerly waiting for your results, don't forget to show us.
"All I know is that I know nothing" (Socrates)

Offline capnbirdseye

• Vic
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2014, 11:50:59 AM »
seems to be a mix covering several centuries so not an actual hoard in the true sense, far better this way as a hoard could contain many duplicates so hopefully I can find something of interest amongst this lot for swapping etc.
In reality this is not really my area of main interest as far as Kushan coins are concerned although medieval India is of interest but I couldn't resist the undoubted enjoyment of sorting through a pile of unidentified coins for a really good price  8) ;D
Vic

Offline capnbirdseye

• Vic
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2014, 05:58:42 PM »
They arrived this morning, 144 coins in total, ;D I  found the remaining green powder washed off easily with hot water & a toothbrush but then discovered black mud coating on most of them so I gave them the Caustic soda treatment & the legends & pattererns began to appear.
A lot are small & thin inc a number of Kushan types which I presume are fractionals? some are too worn to be of any use but a fair number will clean up & be worthwhile but definitely no museum quality coins!
Here are several that look reasonable inc one with a camel & one with a swastika
Vic

Offline saro

• Honorary Member
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2014, 06:48:32 PM »
 "cleaning in 3 steps"...very good job !

And the bottom left coin shows a nice knight ...
"All I know is that I know nothing" (Socrates)

Offline THCoins

• Honorary Member
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2014, 08:22:41 PM »
Interesting lot ! can roughly recognize most.

Offline capnbirdseye

• Vic
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2014, 08:51:30 PM »
Interesting lot ! can roughly recognize most.

the ones you can't recognise must be considerably rare  :D
Vic

Offline bruce61813

• Meritorious Member
    • Gringgotts Coins
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2015, 05:56:23 AM »
Even after the caustic treatment, I would soak them for a week in a soda mix as some are showing bronze disease symptoms.  The entire batch should have been given a series if scrubs and soaks. It takes a short bit of time , but worth it. Especially if you live in an area with high humidity.

Bruce