Author Topic: UK: Designs for new Pound Coins  (Read 3492 times)

Offline augsburger

• Meritorious Member
Re: UK: Designs for new Pound Coins
« Reply #45 on: March 20, 2015, 05:37:56 PM »
Here's a flag map combo!

Offline augsburger

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #46 on: March 20, 2015, 05:40:43 PM »
Here's a flag thing.

Offline augsburger

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #47 on: March 20, 2015, 05:43:54 PM »
An old coin spin off, I did various designs of this, most looking pretty similar.

Some of the designs had United Kingdom written in four languages, Welsh, Gaelic, Scots and English instead of the whole United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland thing.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #48 on: March 20, 2015, 06:08:08 PM »
Thanks for showing, Augsburger. It's easy to criticise designs, but more difficult to plug into what people - rightly or wrongly - want to see on their coins. Apart from the flag design, I think you succeeded.

Unsurprisingly, I spent most time studying the flag design. I can see how the Daily Mail crowd would have derided it as the flag coming apart, but what I see is the concept of influence. Britishness does not stop at the border and the country is not at all free of non-British influences. A Briton can go to France, speak English with the hotel reception people, shop at Marks and Spencer, but also buy the French wine he likes. The same person can stay at home, communicate with a German intern at work, eat a vegetarian meal at an Indian restaurant but also buy a British cheese that goes well with his French wine.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline augsburger

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #49 on: March 20, 2015, 06:30:23 PM »
I don't mind criticism, the amount that went into the designs from my other half helped me to push myself and not get blinded by enthusiasm.

But it's damn hard to produce a design that you A) think can win and B) you'd be happy to show people. There are other designs I won't put on here because I wasn't that happy with them. A month of designing and you realise that the pressure gets to you. Seeing the design the other made me rethink most of what I had done. How I could have made it better and so on. But then you think back and working with various ideas and trying to get it all together without going insane, and you just have to tell yourself you did what you could.

I'm happy, I sent in designs I can be somewhat proud of, unlike the competition which Dent won and I produced one design set that I didn't even like half the designs of.