login

Author Topic: UK: Designs for new Pound Coins  (Read 3491 times)

Offline annovi.frizio

• FRIZIODESIGN
Re: new pound
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2014, 11:27:44 PM »
Frizio Graphic Designer
http://www.friziodesign.it/

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW DE EU
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2014, 03:35:51 PM »
It is bad enough that the face value has to be "text only", but that is a political decision, I suppose. Adding even more text to the reverse of a circulation (non-commem) coin would be too much in my opinion ...

Christian

Offline augsburger

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2014, 03:39:53 PM »
I don't think it has to be text only, the text has to be there for one pound, other than that you can do what you like.

But yeah, I'm not a fan of so much text on coins. There's been a few 2 pound coins like that.

Offline annovi.frizio

• FRIZIODESIGN
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2014, 10:51:50 PM »
shakespeare?? this is the right theme for all the united kingdom citizens ?? :-)
Frizio Graphic Designer

Offline augsburger

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2014, 10:54:38 PM »
No, Shakespeare is English, and the Scots, Welsh and Irish would be demanding people like Dylan Thomas on the coin too.

It's the problem with one coin representing Britishness. It's almost impossible..... with the exception of generic royal stuff.

Offline annovi.frizio

• FRIZIODESIGN
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2014, 11:02:34 PM »
war ? victory? colonialism? army? flag? tea? muffins? wallace & gromit???  what is right ?  8) 8) 8) 8) ???
Frizio Graphic Designer

Offline augsburger

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2014, 11:06:25 PM »
To be honest, right is hard. If you look at previous 1 pound coins what do you see?

You have flowers, bridges, coat of arms, animals.

Problem is you'd have to have all of them on one coin, to represent the whole country.

Suggestions of Britishness would be Britannia, and the coat of arms. Or getting 4 things on one coins.

Perhaps a bulldog, can't see it being a nice coin though, or..... a grim cloud, that's very British.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2014, 11:32:15 PM »
The real problem is the Scottish plebiscite, which has framed minds into thinking that what is English cannot be Scottish and vice versa, let alone Welsh and N. Irish. Sure, Shakespeare is English, but he is also a central influence on modern English. That language is a unifier of the bits and pieces you think must necessarily be pictured separately. Or, to turn the frame of mind inside out, if England and Scotland really had practically nothing in common, the yes vote would have carried.

I do understand your argument that the jury may not agree, but that just makes it a communication issue. Your design (or a comment on it, if that is allowed) must convey a powerful message or it will sink in a sea of ideas. Here's an example:

STOP! Were you going to disqualify this design because Shakespeare is English? Think again. He symbolises the language spoken in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland. The language that unites, rather than divides them.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW DE EU
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2014, 11:40:35 PM »
Were you going to disqualify this design because Shakespeare is English?

No. We, the jury, did not vote for it because, for a regular circulation coin, it has way too much text.

;D  Christian

Offline augsburger

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2014, 11:56:28 PM »
The reason I'd disqualify it is because part of the design brief is that no person is to be part of the design. Surely Shakespeare is, or was, a person. Anything related to just one person will almost certainly be automatically disqualified.

I don't think Shakespeare is a symbol of the English Language. He wrote in English, he was the most successful English/British author, but he didn't exist in a time of the United Kingdom. His Queen was Queen of England and Ireland, not of Scotland.

Like I said, Shakespeare is the best known English writer, Dylan Thomas write in English, Robert Burns on the other hand wrote in Scots language.

But already we are showing why Shakespeare can't represent "Britishness", it's too contentious. We could go on all day about this. If the press had to release a coin on Britishness that was so contentious, the Royal Mint would have egg on their faces.

4 coins of 4 of the most successful writers, one from each country, fine, but just one, it wouldn't work.

Cervantes can be on a Spanish coin, but not Shakespeare on a British coin. It's just the way it is.

If you want a coin about the English language, it's still going to be contentious, because it's not the only language in the country. It's fine to use just English on the coin, but for the coin to be about English, wouldn't go down well either.

Does it unite? Sure, at times, does it separate? I've lived in Wales and seen how it can.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2014, 12:25:28 AM »
As I said, it's an example. It's not about any design or idea. I just used the last idea presented to make it more practical. My point is simply that you don't need four mini-designs and that they would be more divisive than common ground. In fact, what has Northern Ireland, or Wales, or Scotland to do with Brittannia? It's just a neo-classical personification of the sort that was popular centuries ago that the Mint forced upon the population without asking their opinion.

(Btw, Rabbie Burns wrote mostly in English and Cervantes did not write in Catalan or Basque, both languages spoken locally in Spain.)

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline davidrj

« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2014, 02:22:17 AM »
A nice use of bimetallic coins would be the reprise of classic designs from British coinage, for example the central portion could be Celtic, Saxon, Norman etc. The French Mint used this idea in the latter days of the Franc

eg Dupre's design from the Convention

http://www.lefranc.net/images/franc/f229.jpg

Offline annovi.frizio

• FRIZIODESIGN
« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2014, 12:13:58 AM »
idea...

Frizio Graphic Designer

Offline augsburger

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2014, 10:02:04 AM »
Stonehenge right?

It's English. Pre-Anglo Saxon and all of that, but we don't know that much about this period of time so it doesn't really represent anyone other than those who living in England.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2014, 10:29:50 AM »
Saxons are post-Roman (at least in England) and Stonehenge is (very far) pre-Roman. It's not English, but it's also not British. It just happens to be in England, just like dolmen happen to be in the Netherlands, India, Ireland or Korea. It would look great on a coin, but I agree that it doesn't meet the instructions of the Mint, so the design would be disqualified in the first selection.

Peter