login

Author Topic: UK: Designs for new Pound Coins  (Read 3311 times)

Offline annovi.frizio

• FRIZIODESIGN
UK: Designs for new Pound Coins
« on: October 19, 2014, 12:54:41 AM »
some ideas:

http://www.friziodesign.it/coins20.html

:-)
I hope you appreciate, kind regards :-)

--------------
Frizio Graphic Designer
http://www.friziodesign.it/

Offline annovi.frizio

• FRIZIODESIGN
Re: new pound
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2014, 12:37:21 PM »

::) ::)
Frizio Graphic Designer

Offline Miner

• Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2014, 12:46:25 PM »
Big Ben is original - a circle inscribed in a square that is inscribed in the dodecahedron

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2014, 12:59:53 PM »
Agreed, I like the Big Ben design too. Might be better for a possible later phase with various £1 designs, but that should be discussed by the British. Another (minor) issue that both design, Big Ben and the British Museum, have the face value in one curved line and one straight line. Some may like that, others may not. ;)

Christian

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2014, 01:18:38 PM »
I agree. The Big Ben design is original, yet very British, with interesting shapes, yet not abstract. I seem to remember that there was a public contest for the design of this coin and that non-British can participate.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline andyg

• Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • DERBYS · UK
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2014, 01:44:31 PM »
I would argue that Big Ben is English - not British....
It's a very tough brief - "something British"

Very nice design though :)
always willing to trade modern UK coins for modern coins from elsewhere....

Offline annovi.frizio

• FRIZIODESIGN
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2014, 02:45:11 PM »
Frizio Graphic Designer

Offline augsburger

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2014, 03:40:30 PM »
Are you not entering designs then? I won't publish any of mine until I've been announced as a loser.

I'm going to be critical just from the point of view of the competition.

Big Ben is in London. I know it's the centre of the UK politics wise, but I avoided it.
The other one I'm not sure what it is, and the design brief made some comment about it being easy to tell that it represents Britain and Britishness (whatever that is). The last one is a poppy or something? Might be okay for a war coin, but I'm not so sure it'd go down that well with being explicit when representing the UK. Also the lion is English. There's no Wales, Scotland or Northern Ireland.

It's not easy,especially not being British and understanding all of the major problems every design could entail. i have designs that I ripped to shreds because i didn't like them. I like how you've presented them though, I've been using a few programs but could make anything look so real like that. I've just been playing with simple embossing.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2014, 10:15:51 AM »
It's not exactly news to me that Big Ben is in London. ;) However, while "London" is not a symbol of the UK, Big Ben may be a symbol of something bigger than London.

A first indication that it is, can be found in the marketing of travel organisations. The cliché for the UK is Big Ben, preferably combined with Tower bridge. The cliché for France is the Eiffel Tower (firmly grounded in Paris), preferably combined with a fat guy on a bicycle with a beret, a big moustache and a baguette in his armpit. The cliché for Italy is not the Coliseum in Rome, but the tower of Pisa, though. Apparently, towers are great stuff to symbolise a country and the tower doesn't have to be in the capital.

The towers also say something about the country's character. The tower of Pisa is a beautiful piece of architecture, but its main attraction now is that it's leaning. I am sure Italian artists from Michelangelo to Bernini would agree that beauty is (much) more important than perfection. The Eiffel tower was a technically advanced construction at its time, but today, it is appreciated more for its elegant shape, as in fashion, toiletry, internal decoration and even high speed train design. In the same sense, Big Ben was once a marvel of timekeeping, necessary for accurate navigation at sea, but today, it is a symbol of the parliament building of Westminster, which in turn is a symbol of parliamentary democracy, ranging from independence from kings to "her majesty's loyal opposition". Those are generic values Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland would generally support.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline annovi.frizio

• FRIZIODESIGN
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2014, 10:21:03 AM »
Thank you... :)
Frizio Graphic Designer

Offline augsburger

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2014, 10:27:50 AM »
I think the biggest problem with Big Ben is, that it's a symbol of the UK for foreigners, but less so for british people, and even less so for those in Wales, NI and Scotland.

You never know, they might take something from this, i'm not really sure on the thinking of the judges, but the fact that Big Ben has never appeared on UK coins suggests to me that they might not do it this time either.

The problem now is you have the Welsh Assembly and the Scottish Parliament too. There's talk of reducing the power Scottish MPs have in Westminster and so on. How well would this coin make it in the future?

The fact that it is so debatable, is it's problem.

Look at previous designs, you have bridges, flowers, national symbols, that's about it. Britannia is probably the best symbol of the UK as a whole, their "no people" rule covers this or now? I doubt it, so maybe they'll go for Britannia again, the mint probably doesn't want this based on their silver and gold coins, but the mint isn't choosing the design, I would have thought and certainly doesn't have last say (the queen does).

I'm hoping something a bit different comes along, either with these but not looking traditional, or something really different. But I think buildings will not appear unless you can get 4 on a coin, and i think this coin will be too small for that.

Offline augsburger

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2014, 10:28:16 AM »
Frizio, are you not entering the competition?

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2014, 11:33:49 AM »
Look at previous designs, you have bridges, flowers, national symbols, that's about it. Britannia is probably the best symbol of the UK as a whole, their "no people" rule covers this or now?

In my opinion, Britannia is not a person in the sense of the competition rules. :)  In the FAQ section, the Mint says: "In seeking to have a design that is to represent the whole of the UK, selecting one person would represent a challenging choice, especially if that person is still alive."

Britannia is not an individual but a personification of the country, and thus would be OK to use. But as you wrote, a design built around her might "collide" with the bullion coin. What I like about Frizio's "Big Ben" design is that this reverse would not feature the Houses of Parliament, and not even the Clock/Elizabeth Tower, but simply the dial. Instantly recognizable, and yet far enough from being a political statement, I think.

Then again there is that sentence in the competition tips which says "Successful coinage designs commonly feature emblems or symbols and are often heraldic in their inspiration." Sounds like a hint to me. ;)

Christian

Offline augsburger

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2014, 11:36:07 AM »
Yeah, they did the same hint for the 1p-50p competition that Matthew Dent won, and, well, he chose the shield.

Offline FosseWay

• Honorary Member
  • Göteborg, Sverige
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2014, 08:05:41 PM »
I really like the Big Ben one as well, but share the suspicion that it would not be acceptable for being too English. It would be ideal as the English edition of a series of four.

The problem with buildings is the same as with people - they inevitably come from somewhere and invite accusations of favouritism towards that place. Plants and animals (if you ignore the heraldically significant ones at least) don't have this issue - this I think is one of the reasons behind the success of the Irish farmyard coins. They didn't refer to anywhere in particular and didn't have the kind of cultural overtones that were/are sensitive in the political context in Ireland.

From the political rather than the aesthetic view, buildings will only work as part of a series, either as the £1 has traditionally been used for in consecutive years, or as part of a group of denominations (compare the heraldic devices referring to the countries in Christopher Ironside's series).