Author Topic: Suggest a good coin album  (Read 4995 times)

Offline coin_lover

Suggest a good coin album
« on: October 13, 2014, 08:30:44 PM »
Hey guys as you know slowly but steadly my coin collection is increasing much to m surprise. I would like you to suggest me a good album which is clear and oil free for my collection.

Offline dheer

• Honorary Member
  • Indian Coins & Currencies
    • Coins of Republic India
Re: Suggest a good coin album
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2014, 08:55:37 AM »
Read through various posts on this board and you would get a good idea.

The best available in India would be a 2x2 Coin Flip and a plastic sheet to put the flips in.

This post cover the topic
http://www.worldofcoins.eu/forum/index.php/topic,26376.0.html

This post discusses the pros/cons of self sealing vs stappled variety of the holders
http://www.worldofcoins.eu/forum/index.php/topic,18230.msg179625.html#new

There are quite a few ones available overseas that maybe expensive. It also depends on what coins you would like to put in them ... if these are routine low value coins costing few hundred rupees, the India ones are good enough. If you are storing expensive coins in the range of few thousands or more, then you should invest in good quality holders available outside India.
http://coinsofrepublicindia.blogspot.in
A guide on Republic India Coins & Currencies

Offline Abhay

• Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2014, 01:03:58 PM »
Just to give an idea, here are the images of a 2X2 coin holder with 20 sheet and 4 ring binder album.

Abhay
INVESTING IN YESTERDAY

Offline coin_lover

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2014, 08:28:28 PM »
thanks abhay and dheer. will decide on one soon.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2014, 11:45:45 PM »
No need not worry about the binder. Any generic office four-ring binder will do (I used to pick them out of our office trash.) Three ring binders will only take US album pages. Two-ring binders will often not provide enough support for pages with heavy coins.

Most album pages are OK. I would personally not buy them from a Chinese manufacturer, but they may be OK as well.

Getting the right coin cartons is crucial. The bad ones are still being made. The brand I use is not sold in India, so I can't help. Bimat has much experience in this area.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline dsuramou

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2014, 10:57:34 AM »
this is a challenge I even face in safe guarding the coins. I keep them in the coin holder, but over a course of an year the staple pins get completely rusted. Can some body advise if this rust would have any impact on the coin in the holder ?
And also do we need to change the coin-holders frequently ?

Deepak

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2014, 11:18:09 AM »
Rusty staples are not a problem by themselves if they don't touch the coin. However, they are an indication that the coins are in a moist environment, which is a problem. If you don't want to check the whole collection regularly and risk damage anyway, the only solution is to create a closed environment and add silicon gel, which should be renewed or recycled regularly.

The cartons need no replacing if the plastic is good.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline dsuramou

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2014, 11:24:28 AM »
Peter,
thanks for getting back. request your advise on how to close a ring binder file so that I can prevent the circulation of air. I stay in a city which is on the sea coast.

Also need your guidance on how can we assess the quality of plastic & paper clips that  I am using
Deepak

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2014, 04:35:17 PM »
Salt and water are a lethal combination for coins. You probably have some experience of what sea air does to the paint of cars.

There are several ways to create a closed environment. For smaller items, a tin that closes well and some silicon gel is enough. For single coins, you can use coin capsules. They are more expensive than coin cartons, but that's part of the price you pay for living in such a nice place. For shielding whole albums, things are getting more difficult. You can't allow fresh air in and you have to beware of condensation. A professional wine cellar might be good. Cork has the same problems with moist as coins, but condensation when you take out an album would probably be bad. If a vault is advertised as fire resistant, it will probably keep your coins dry, but bank vaults may be opened quite often. Then again, vaults are pretty good at protecting against theft, so that's a bonus.

If your collection doesn't warrant the expense of a vault, the best solution is probably to check the coins regularly.

I am not aware of a non-destructive way to check plastic. I have heard that if you burn plastic, unsafe plastic will colour the flame differently, but I have not remembered the details or tried the method. Is there a chemist in the room? Otherwise, keep on checking the coins. If they turn dull and smell bad, you have a bad plastic problem.

Peter

Offline Abhay

• Honorary Member
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2014, 08:18:50 PM »
Dear Deepak,

Try using MAX (Brand Name) staples. I think they should not rust. Alternately, you can also use coloured staples, which provide better prevention against rusting.

Abhay
INVESTING IN YESTERDAY

Offline coin_lover

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2014, 08:23:20 PM »
someone told me that plastic is the best, I told hem it has chemicals which may react with the coins and he told me it will take ages for that and as long as one replaces the plastic say once in a year it will be fine. However I am not sure about this.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2014, 12:20:29 AM »
Plastic often contains softener that decomposes and reacts with metals, within years, not ages. Changing the plastic would make it worse, as it would add now softener. Paper may contain chlorides. Textiles contain colouring. Young wood contains plant saps. All the handy stuff will attack your coins.

Peter

Offline dsuramou

« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2014, 02:31:23 PM »
Peter & Abhay
thanks for the inputs.
Abhay - I have liked the colured staples and as you mentioned would be a better protection against rusting. But are they easily available in the market ? I have never seen across these staples. please advise any website if any where I can procure them online.

thanks again.
Deepak

Offline coin_lover

« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2014, 08:25:38 PM »
deepak you can get them from any stationary shop in madras/chennai. Just ask for colour stapler pins and the store keeper should be able to give you one.

Offline Arminius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Honorary Member
  • Varus - may i show you our forest?
    • Arminius-Numismatics
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2014, 09:59:55 PM »
The best coin album is NO coin album.
Try to keep them on trays.

Attractive coins are like attractive women: They look best without annoying package.

;)