Author Topic: New Zealand's NCLT coins descend to a new low  (Read 1359 times)

Austrokiwi

New Zealand's NCLT coins descend to a new low
« on: February 14, 2009, 09:11:32 AM »
I am not fully conversant with the facts so I genuinely hope I am wrong..............but current indications are that NZ is trying to emulate "junk" coin producers ( sorry I couldn't think of a better term)  by producing meaningless issues with no clear mintage numbers.   The latest planned issue has really brought me to the point where I am going to turn my back completely on NZ coin issues ( and I'm a Kiwi!!!!) if the indications prove correct.   

The giants issue is extremely cartoonish and it seems to me the coins are aimed at people with a reading age of 12.  For example one coin is labelled "Giant eagle"   this is a descriptor of the bird not its common name ( Haasts eagle).    Have a look at this link it shows the planned issue. Pay particular note to the mintage limit............1500 sets (but individual coin numbers may vary)......... that indicates to me that NZ post is reserving the right to produce more than 1500 of each coin.

http://stamps.nzpost.co.nz/NR/exeres/F9D08445-19AD-42C9-AA50-C5AF17FD7DD0,frameless.htm?NRMODE=Published

Information on the eagle

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haast%27s_eagle

translateltd

Re: New Zealand's NCLT coins descend to a new low
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2009, 09:52:42 AM »
I too find these horrendous, and certainly don't intend to stock them.  However, I think the "limit" of 1500 units per "coin" can be taken as genuine - all they mean is that not all will necessarily be struck to the full authorised total if there isn't sufficient demand, same as happened with the various "Lord of the Rings" issues for which individual mintage numbers seemed to vary quite a bit.

BC Numismatics

Re: New Zealand's NCLT coins descend to a new low
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2009, 07:36:15 AM »
Ian & Martin,
  I fear an Isle of Man or Sierra Leone & Pobjoy Mint-type situation,in which the numismatic community are going to get landed with pure rubbish churned out by some mints,albeit,with approval from the Reserve Bank of New Zealand,Treasury,& New Zealand Post.

Aidan.